PDA

View Full Version : Windshield wiper fluid pump enough for cleaning only?

Dust
24-05-2007, 10:27 AM
I am thinking about rigging up a very primitive nozzle, check valve system off of a WWF (windshield wiper fluid) pump to spritz a little water into the engine from time to time. I wouldn?t be a full time system; it would be just for once a month. The car burns oil after sitting at a light, and I would like to try to get the crap it?s burning off of the pistons, because the car loses power after a while. Would WWF be okay for monthly spritzes when running at high RPM high throttle? Engine is a 660cc 3 cylinder. May upgrade to a turbo version a little later, but I will run a real kit then.

Richard L
09-06-2007, 01:00 PM
I am thinking about rigging up a very primitive nozzle, check valve system off of a WWF (windshield wiper fluid) pump to spritz a little water into the engine from time to time. I wouldn?t be a full time system; it would be just for once a month. The car burns oil after sitting at a light, and I would like to try to get the crap it?s burning off of the pistons, because the car loses power after a while. Would WWF be okay for monthly spritzes when running at high RPM high throttle? Engine is a 660cc 3 cylinder. May upgrade to a turbo version a little later, but I will run a real kit then.

Yes, steam cleaning is very effective. A method used in the old days by many. They punched a small hole in a tin of water and let it drip into the carburattor during idle. A litre of two later, the engine is steam cleaned.

Dust
15-11-2007, 07:51 AM
Richard, it was more of a question about can a 25 psi nozzle run at 25 psi atomize enough to not cause problems for a 5 minute steady run at high rpms.

Richard L
15-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Can you measure the flow per minute?

Dust
15-11-2007, 01:56 PM
With a plastic nozzle it filled 500ml in 45 seconds, with no nozzle, 27 seconds.

Richard L
15-11-2007, 09:15 PM
at 650cc/min, the engine will not run very smoothly, or even continue to run at all.

At no load, even at high RPM, the rate is to muck, Try reducing it to about 50-80cc/min. I know it wil take longer, but steam temperature wil be much higher to effectively clean the cylinders.

Dust
17-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks Richard. The engine is only 660cc, so it wouldn't be a good thing would it.