PDA

View Full Version : Need help designing system for mustang

dmaloney
02-03-2004, 06:19 PM
I am building a 343 cubic inch centrifugal supercharged engine with an output of 750 hp. I have 72 lb injectors and a well designed fuel system, but want to get away from using race gas. I have been reading various posts and I am getting the impression I have to inject 500-600 ml/min per 100 BHP. I am thinking not only will I need multiple injectors but also multiple pumps and accumulators. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated so I can design and order my Aqaumist system.

Brad
03-03-2004, 05:51 AM
A Shurflo pump for water supply. Two high speed valves feeding four 1.0mm jets and an MF2 to drive the high speed valves. A MAP sensor to get 3d control. Good for a 1000hp. Some other small items will be needed to finish of the install.

dmaloney
03-03-2004, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the reply Brad.

Can I use the Fia2 to drive the Hsv's? If so does the Fia2 have the capacity to drive two Hsv's?

Thanks in advance.

Brad
04-03-2004, 01:06 AM
Yes you can use the FIA2 and it will drive two high speed valves. Doing so will require a selection of nozzles so that you can get the correct balance.
When the 2e is avalible you will be able to do some for the fine tuning from the 2e control which will be plug and play with the 2d (FIA2)
The 2e will have a feature where you can change the duty cycle to the highspeed valves in relation to the injector duty cycle. If you desire to increase the water injection by 20% compared to fuel injection duty cycle just turn the control knob. I should be adjustable at least 20% up or down.
It will also have a control so that you can start the injection at a specific fuel injector duty cycle.
Using the Shurflo pump will cause you to loose the blocked jet feature. The blocked jet feature will not work correctly when using more that one jet.

dmaloney
06-03-2004, 12:31 AM
Brad, I noticed your recommendations for Shurflo pump models on another post. As I research this I am thinking it might be better to run 2 pumps, each running one HSV and two 1.0 mm jets. If I had a pump failure I would still have some protection. In your experience how reliable are the pumps?

I see you sometimes recommend the 239 150 psi pump set @110 lbs. over the 100 psi 238 pump. Would the 239 pump run four 1.0 jets? Or should I run two?

The 239 pump is substantially more $, does it have a bigger/better qaulity motor or is the 238 suitable for my needs?

Cost of the system is secondary, the motor is very expensive and must be protected from meltdown.

Thanks for your help on my system.

Brad
06-03-2004, 05:30 AM
You can run two Aquamist pumps with at least 2 accumuators. Both pumps should be tired together. With two pumps and two acuumulators you will have full water flow for about 20sec.
If you use the 239 shurflo pump you can run as long as the water in the tank lasts.
The 239 has proven reliable for this aplication. The 238 would work but for the power you are after the 239 is my chose.
The 239 is set down to 110psi so that it does not over power the highspeed valves and to prolong its life. Yes the 239 is over kill but the extra reserve is worth it.
One pump should be enough. Do you drive the car every day or is it a drag car?
When using two aquamist pumps allways have them feed a common system, do not have two parrall system as they will not be balanced.

dmaloney
06-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Thanks Brad. The car will need approx 10 sec protection on the street and strip. Would it be prudent to run an accumulator with the 239? If the single 239 is more than enough, I can obtain engine protection by using my systems programmable CPU fuel multiplier if/when pressure in the system is out of range. I think I can use an Omega pressure sensor to obtain water pressure data to set up a fail safe.
I will PM you with a parts list for costs.

P.S. when is the "e" injector pulse amplifier available?

Thanks

Doug

Brad
06-03-2004, 05:22 PM
The 239 is more than enough to support the motor. We always use and accumulator with the 239. Not to increase flow but to save the pump motor. Without the accumulator the pump will cycle on and off every seccond. This will keep the pump from making a complete revolution. The accumulator will allow the pump to make several revolutions. The pump is a DC motor. It uses the most current on startup. If it is going of and on quickly it will overheat the motor.
The pressure sensor would be a good way to monitor the condtion.
The "e" might be here by juen but no firm date has been given. The "e" will be an add on to the 2d setup so installing after you have your system going will be just plug and play.