PDA

View Full Version : ShurFlo vs. Aquamist Pump...

MidEngine4Life
09-03-2004, 02:08 AM
I had a Aquamist 2D kit currently, but from a lot of stuff I've read/seen (also from the DSM yahoo water injection board) it seems like the SHurFlo pump can outflow the aquamist with ease. Not to mention it costs a lot less than an aquamist pump!

For anyone who's use both, what's your experience? I've personally had more problems with my aquamist pump than I'd like to admit and doubt its durability.

I haven't seen many closeup pics of the shurflo pump but does anyone know if it uses the same in/out fittings? Or has anyone swapped in a ShurFlo pump into their Aquamist kit?

Ubipa
09-03-2004, 03:41 AM
http://www.pajjakid.com/ubipa/h2o.htm

Here's the one I use. Note that it does not require a check valve unlike the right up. The internal bypass has a crack pressure of 100psi, so it constantly maintains a 100psi while valve is closed. The flowrates are on the table. I've used it for over a year and it's still going strong.

rxstephen
12-03-2004, 02:26 AM
I use the PiNZ system

It uses a dyaphram pump that is over engineered for the job, it can run dry without over heating and can flow substantially more than you need right up to 100psi, for high volume requirements you are best off using multiple nozzels rather than a big nozzel to keep the spray as fine as possible.

Some people have used the system to inject as well as spray externally on the intercooler. The system has fault detection so can be used to switch to a low boost if there is no water pressure.

Cheers
Stephen

Richard L
12-03-2004, 01:05 PM
Guys, if you want a high flow system, read this:

http://waterinjection.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=892#892

MidEngine4Life
12-03-2004, 01:23 PM
Guts, if you want a high flow system, read this:

http://waterinjection.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=892#892

The way my setup is now, it'd be very hard to use my stock windshield washer pump to prime the system. So I'd have to add something in. For the people who can't read schematics too well, what exactly are all those parts?

That PiNZ system looks pretty good. 2000cc/min with no accumalator's impressive! :shock:

Richard L
12-03-2004, 08:57 PM
We will soon make the little circuit board in a small box for any one who needs it under 10 dollars.

dc96819
25-05-2004, 12:20 PM
http://www.pajjakid.com/ubipa/h2o.htm

Here's the one I use. Note that it does not require a check valve unlike the right up. The internal bypass has a crack pressure of 100psi, so it constantly maintains a 100psi while valve is closed. The flowrates are on the table. I've used it for over a year and it's still going strong.

How did you get your 1/4 water line to fit your aquamist 6mm or 4mm spray jets :?:

DuMaurier 7
06-06-2004, 05:11 PM
I had a Aquamist 2D kit currently, but from a lot of stuff I've read/seen (also from the DSM yahoo water injection board) it seems like the SHurFlo pump can outflow the aquamist with ease. Not to mention it costs a lot less than an aquamist pump!

For anyone who's use both, what's your experience? I've personally had more problems with my aquamist pump than I'd like to admit and doubt its durability.

I haven't seen many closeup pics of the shurflo pump but does anyone know if it uses the same in/out fittings? Or has anyone swapped in a ShurFlo pump into their Aquamist kit?

So back to the original question , how does the shurflow compare ? . My aquamist pump died and I am looking at integrating anoyher pump into the rest of the system, and the cost is VERY attractive. :?: :roll: :?

Richard L
06-06-2004, 07:38 PM
A shurflo pump delivers:
part no: 8030-813 239

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum/8000-Series.jpeg

5.4L/min at 80 psi @ 9.1A
3.8L/min at 120 psi @ 10.9A
3.3L/min at 140 psi @11.7A

http://ctest.shurflo.com/pages/new_industrial/Industrial/automotive/doc_sum/8030-813-239.html

An Aquamist pump:
0.30L/min @ 96psi [/img]

Richard L
07-06-2004, 10:01 AM
I had a Aquamist 2D kit currently ...

For the intersest of all on this board - would you like to tell us what actually happened to your aquamist pump, problem and durability? Please!

It will really help other aquamist user to avoid future problems

DuMaurier 7
08-06-2004, 04:14 AM
[quote=MidEngine4Life]
For the intersest of all on this board - would you like to tell us what actually happened to your aquamist pump, problem and durability? Please!

It will really help other aquamist user to avoid future problems

In my case , a bit of plastic paper (I think ) got into my reservoir and was blocking the outlet of the tank , so although the filter was clear ( I checked that) the pump still wasnt getting enough flow and it burned up (literally) . The "run dry" , feature of the sure flow pumps is also an attractive feature.!!

Richard L
08-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Thanks DuMauier 7.

Not sure the age of your pump, since 2002, all pumps were equipped with internal thermal cut-out and it should not burn up when run dry. The trigger point is 85C and re-start at 83C.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/sys1/techsys1/animation1.GIF

The only part that will suffer is the shaft seal, it is a 10-cent item, within the warranty period, we can often replace it free of charge if you send the pump back to us.

Shurflo pump also have a thermal cut-out, set at 65C - if it doesn't, it will suffer the same fate.

Richard L
08-06-2004, 10:37 PM

Please tell us about your aquamist problem "I'd like to admit"

DuMaurier 7
09-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Richard I got a brand new modified Shurflo pump for a REAL good price .It puts out 2 gpm @ 225psi, so I am going to try out this pump and see how it works, can you tell me how much pressure the Aquamist lines , connctors and HSV can safely take ?,since everything downstream of the pump will remain Aquamist (system 2D).I am planning to expand again from a two stage dual nozzle setup to a two stage tripple nozzle setup . This is why I need a HIGH flow pump.

DuMaurier 7
09-06-2004, 02:42 AM
One more question richard , would it be possible to use the diagnostic feature of the 2D (connect the orange wire) with the different pump ?

Richard L
09-06-2004, 09:53 AM
When we supply a shurflo system to a user, we just supply a simple flow sensor on the water jet to monitor flow. If flow is in excess of 450ml/min, there need to use two sensors.

We have tried many ways to incoprporate the standard aquamist diagnostics circuitry to work with the Shruflo pump but failed to come up something reliable. The biggest problem is the huge flow capability even at low speed- imagine trying to compare two values decades apart.

The main problem is when the shurflo is running at low speed, the diaphragms produces very uneven pulses and it is very difficult to monitor. Alternatively we tried a wasted water method and also proved to be difficult. If only the Shroflo pump would flows a little bit less, it will be difficult for anyone to find a way to bridge that gap.

I know shuroflo has the capability to flow 3.8L a minute at 120psi - which engine will require a water injection system that will empty a gallon (US Gallon) of water in one minute.

1 litre/min of water will remove approximately 57 BHP!!! or 42KW. a full speed Shurflo pump will take 216 BHP out of an engine. Equivalent of bumping 6 gallon of gasoline. Calculation is based on the latent heat of water of 2256kJ/kg

We came to a compromise of using a priming pump and still retains the diagnositic capability of block jet and cut pipe. There are many systems out there claimed to have diagnostics capabilities abd progressive flow, but "none" has addressed the problem of detecting a block nozzle - the most important part of a water injection system.

So my conclusion is that it cannot be done at tehmoment niot that we haven't tried. I don't know what the answer is.

DuMaurier 7
09-06-2004, 11:31 AM
Richard I got a brand new modified Shurflo pump for a REAL good price .It puts out 2 gpm @ 225psi, so I am going to try out this pump and see how it works, can you tell me how much pressure the Aquamist lines , connctors and HSV can safely take ?,since everything downstream of the pump will remain Aquamist (system 2D).I am planning to expand again from a two stage dual nozzle setup to a two stage tripple nozzle setup . This is why I need a HIGH flow pump.

Ok Richard , thanks for the info , I guess I.ll just have to settle for a simple "running light" for the pump , so that i can monitor the frequency and times of the pumps operation.You did not answer the other question about the operating pressures though.

Richard L
09-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Sorry I missed that bit.

Please run below 10 bar or 145psi.

Richard L
10-06-2004, 08:09 PM
I have any idea, why not put an inline 10-bar pressure gauge.

DuMaurier 7
13-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Yup . I already have that . I have since gotten another of your HSV's to make my two stage system , fully mappable !!, the E6K will controll the additional one mapping dyty cycle against rpm (two dimentionalmapping ) and the Fia2 the other . Whats the hold up with the system 2E ? , I WANT one !! :lol:

Richard L
13-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Any pictures?

The hold up of the 2E is to do with backward compatibility issues - also have some OE interface modification - intergrating into a production car.

DuMaurier 7
13-06-2004, 03:51 PM
No pics yet but I can get some if you want ! :D , please let me know when the kit becomes available.

Richard L
13-06-2004, 10:58 PM
I certainly will.