PDA

View Full Version : Water/Meth Tank options

BOTTLEFED
26-01-2009, 12:36 AM
I'm having trouble finding a tank that will fit my location. There seems to be a very limited size and shape of the tanks available for AI applications.
I was looking at plastic gasoline cans. These look like the same type of plastic used for W/M tanks. Would it be safe to use one of these for a custom AI setup?
I'm thinking of using a 1 or 2 gallon can.

-Tim

Richard L
26-01-2009, 01:10 AM
Where are you located?

BOTTLEFED
26-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Idaho??

belikemike
25-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Can I use my 6 liter aluminum fuel tank to store my mix in. I have it extra from my racing cart, which is no wrecked, Don't ask :mad: I have seen pictures on the net of silver tanks but I do not know if they are aluminum or chrome steel ect.

Thank you

Richard L
25-03-2009, 11:38 PM
I'm having trouble finding a tank that will fit my location. There seems to be a very limited size and shape of the tanks available for AI applications.
I was looking at plastic gasoline cans. These look like the same type of plastic used for W/M tanks. Would it be safe to use one of these for a custom AI setup?
I'm thinking of using a 1 or 2 gallon can.

-Tim

Tim,

I wasn't being clear. I was asking what car and whereyiu want your tank to be located. Most plastic is good for methanol and water. I can post a few picture of tanks that might fit, once I know what car is yours.

Richard

Richard L
25-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Can I use my 6 liter aluminum fuel tank to store my mix in. I have it extra from my racing cart, which is no wrecked, Don't ask :mad: I have seen pictures on the net of silver tanks but I do not know if they are aluminum or chrome steel ect.

Thank you

I believe methanol attacks aluminium. Go for plastic tanks.

nutron
28-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Methanol does attack aluminium, I just used the 25ltr plastic container the Methanol came in. I stuck it in the boot, put a hole in the lid and pushed a hose to the bottom. Then I put a few more small holes in the lid to prevent a vacuum forming and off I went. My pump is as low on the car as possible, so even the bottom of the boot is much higher, consequently it flows through very well and I only have to top it up every three weeks now.

Richard L
28-03-2009, 07:31 PM
This is the best method I have seen for years. :lol:

Kuberia
10-05-2010, 09:03 AM
yea i will not recomend aluminium too...its "eats" whole tank.so try platic one this will help

thefalls
11-05-2010, 04:12 PM
If methanol eats aluminium then wont it affect the cylinder head after prolonged use of water/methanol injection?
Or does the water decrease the corrosive effects of the methanol?
Thanks.

EM100
08-06-2010, 01:49 PM
I need to make a pressure vessel for my project and I was thinking of alloy,but couldn't the inside of the tank be coated with Por15 tank liner?

ROBAPHENT
10-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Sorry for bumping up an old thread but with meth and alloys is this the same for alloy tube/pipe and alloy fittings like dash/an fittings on tanks?

is it only meth that does this or even a water/meth mix?

stevieturbo
20-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Fuel/AN fittings etc are all hard anodized which offers them protection.

Whether it is 100% protection I'm not sure, but it is a lot more than bare alloy.

The less methanol there is, the less it will attack. Although I dont think it's that bad anyway

if you're concerned, get some of the alloy and leave it in some methanol and see how it copes.