PDA

View Full Version : HFS-6 rev.1: known issues and technical helps

Richard L
17-05-2009, 02:49 PM
The thread is dedicated for discussing and known issues and technical assistance foer the end users. Please try to post any problem encountered so we can address or modified the HFS-6 for past, present and future.

Please contribute.

Richard L
17-05-2009, 03:03 PM
A number of systems installed have experienced line leakage, on further investigations we have found the wrong fitting has been used on the pressurised side of the pump. The user manual has shown an "incorrecty" drawn diagram showing a "push-fit" fitting is used on the output side of the water pump (on the 5-port manifold).

Here is an updated diagram, with components marked in red.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/HFS6/ATpump-+wiring3+.gif

Richard L
17-05-2009, 03:06 PM
I would also like to add another oversight of the RJ plugs. Not all harnesses have this defect. Please clear the overhang with a small knife or return the harness to us.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum/gallery/HFS6/conn1.jpg

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum/gallery/HFS6/conn2.jpg

Richard L
17-05-2009, 03:22 PM
This recommendation would not apply if the water filter is installed in the horizontal orientation.

If the inline disc is installed in a vertical position, it would be advatagous for inlet to be located at the bottom and water exit at the top. This will avoid debris from settling on the filter mesh and cause premature clogging.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/HFS6/debris.gif

Richard L
17-05-2009, 04:02 PM
If wire leading the the FCM (flow control module) is at a higher level then the module, it would be advisable to create a small downward loop to allow any water trickling along the line working its way into the FCM.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/HFS6/drip.gif

Richard L
20-06-2009, 12:51 PM
I have been informed by aquatec the pump pressure is set to 160psi in "dead head" condition. This means when there is flow, say around 1000cc/min, the pressure will drop down to ~120-125psi.

In order to reset the pressure to 160psi at 1000cc/min. You need to adjust the set screw (on the pumphead) with an allen key (1/16") as follows:
Wind in the screw (clockwise) until you hear a click. Then re-wind (counter-clockwise) 1 complete turn. This sets the system pressure to 160psi.

Future HFS-6 delivery will have a supplimentary insert in the user manual, instructing the above. Apologise for the noticing this earlier due to some mis-communication between Aquatec and us.

Rene Barfred
21-06-2009, 05:26 PM
I have been informed by aquatec the pump pressure is set to 160psi in "dead head" condition. This means when there is flow, say around 1000cc/min, the pressure will drop down to ~120-125psi.

In order to reset the pressure to 160psi at 1000cc/min. You need to adjust the set screw (on the pumphead) with an allen key (1/16") as follows:
Wind in the screw (clockwise) until you hear a click. Then re-wind (counter-clockwise) 1 complete turn. This sets the system pressure to 160psi.

Future HFS-6 delivery will have a supplimentary insert in the user manual, instructing the above. Apologise for the noticing this earlier due to some mis-communication between Aquatec and us.

Hi Richard :smile:

So this means one has to do this before setting up the system and installing it ?? I was in the groupbuy, so I guess my pump will have this treatment ? thank's.

Rene
DENMARK

Richard L
21-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Yes, you need to reset the pump pressure. All future system wuill have to do the same, but we will put a separate note with the user manual.

I wish I can get this resolved with Aquatec very soon. My biggest problem is the pump is re-packed into the kit in the state, our importer is not very mechanically minded. I will do my best to ask them to do it before repacking.

But all UK kit will be set correctly as from July/August.

GGGGGGGG
03-07-2009, 05:48 AM
Richard,

What is the purpose of setting pressure at 160 vs. 120 psi? Also, I am runnning the HFS-6 for my supercharger and I notice that when the flow is on engine idle fluctuates (today the fluctuation even shut off the engine while in park). Is it injecting too much water in the engine? What would your recommendation be? Thanks in advance.

Richard L
03-07-2009, 07:05 AM
There is no particular reason to run 160psi if you are only boosting to 20-30psi. Some drag racers run in excess of 50-psi of manifold pressure. The previous model (HFS-5) ran 125psi, we have no request for higher pressure.

It just happen that the new Aquatec pump is user adjustable to run beyong 120ppsi and is pressure setting is accessable to the users.

hawaiian_evo
24-08-2009, 05:28 AM
sorry but i dont see the alan screw on the pump head. is it dead center on the head uder that circle piece?

Richard L
24-08-2009, 11:48 PM
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum/allen.jpg

Richard L
24-08-2009, 11:49 PM
I still have not received the parts I replaced.

Spoolin415
05-11-2009, 09:17 PM

Can this click be replicated? I was turning mine too fast and I'm not sure at what point I heard the 'click'. I estimated, but I'd like to go slower and get it exact if it is possible.

Richard L
05-11-2009, 10:36 PM
I have used this method on eight pumps, all within +/- 5psi. It doesn't metter the speed you are doing it. If in double, put a small pressure gauge on one of the spare output port of the pump.

rcdash
26-01-2010, 06:19 PM
It is odd that it takes an inconsistent amount of turning to get the pump to "click" when turning that pressure set screw clockwise. For example, it took me 4 full turns to hear the click from wherever it was set when shipped, then I turned it back 1 full turn. So I thought maybe I should test it again to ensure it is at the right spot. This time it took 2.5 turns to hear the click! I again, turned it back 1 full turn and left it there. I do have a cheap pressure gauge on one of the ports, but the needle vibrates when the pump is on making it hard to read accurately... (sigh)

Howerton Engineering
26-01-2010, 06:52 PM
We have found the same inconsistencies in getting to the click, but the running pressure results seem much more reliable. It should give a running pressure about 160psi(at 100% IDC) with one turn back.

How much is your pressure gauge moving? Try pulling the jet from the car and putting the test jumper on and spraying at 100% as this will hold open the FCM and possibly give you better reading. We usually measure running pressure at the FCM inlet but that shouldn't make a big difference.

rcdash
27-01-2010, 10:50 PM
We have found the same inconsistencies in getting to the click, but the running pressure results seem much more reliable. It should give a running pressure about 160psi(at 100% IDC) with one turn back.

How much is your pressure gauge moving? Try pulling the jet from the car and putting the test jumper on and spraying at 100% as this will hold open the FCM and possibly give you better reading. We usually measure running pressure at the FCM inlet but that shouldn't make a big difference.

I think the issue is that the pump vibrates when it is on. I should consider moving the gauge to the FCM, but it's all nicely tucked away - I can just look down through the engine bay and read the pressure as it stands... If I turn the pump on at 100% test and then turn the system off from the gauge, I think the pressure should remain constant, correct? Using this method (prior to calibration), I got a reading of 120 psi. I haven't tested yet after fiddling with this set screw. Will report back...

Richard L
20-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Before cover everything up, please post some installation pictures here.

rcdash
12-04-2010, 04:46 PM
You were right about the pressure. I put a pressure snubber and 0-350 psi sender and it reads 170-180 psi at about 1/2 full IDC. It's hard for me to get to 100% IDC with 1000 cc injectors! ;)

I have saved several good pics of the installation. Waiting to create some data logs with various fluid combos, pre and post turbo, and with dyno data!

Excellent kit. I've been testing the failsafe before I change my tune, both low flow and high flow conditions - works pretty well!

EDIT: Actually I had a question about the failsafe. The manual does not indicate what the failsafe sensitivity trimmer adjustment range is. How quickly can I get the failsafe to send an error signal when it detects a problem?

EDIT: Never mind, found Richard's excellent post here (should be added to the manual): http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=11376&postcount=20