PDA

View Full Version : what kind of water ???

jaeneke
16-03-2004, 10:17 AM
i have a question about the "water" that some people use to mix there own water/methanol...

i've installed a aquamist system a few weeks ago and i'm driving on windshield washer fluid...
now i want it to mix it by myselves !

but... what kind of water do you people use ??? distilled or plain water or....

maybe it is a stupid question but i don't want to kill the pump or my engine !

hotrod
16-03-2004, 12:43 PM
The answer to your question depends on your local water quality.

The ideal would be to use distilled water. That would ensure that your nozzles would not develop mineral deposits and clog up over time.

To some extent it also depends on what size jets your running and how often you intend to clean the nozzles. It would also depend somewhat on how much water your system used.

If your tapwater contains a lot of minerals ( so called hard water ) then you should probably use a distilled or de-mineralized water. This would for example be the case if you have problems with water spotting on glassware and mineral deposit build up in cooking pans.

If you have soft water that does not leave noticable mineral deposits when it dries, and your willing to occasionally check your spray nozzles for mineral build up, you can probably run straight tap water, or a mix of straight tap water, and distilled or de-mineralized water.

Even with fairly hard water in a pinch you could use it to top off the system as long as you did not run it all the time.

Larry

janis
17-03-2004, 09:10 PM
i have a question about the "water" that some people use to mix there own water/methanol...

i've installed a aquamist system a few weeks ago and i'm driving on windshield washer fluid...

I use distilled water only, even before I had my aquamist. There's just too much chalk in the water here (and that's near you :D ) even though the water is called "soft'

Maybe you could boil tap water first.

Janis

jaeneke
17-03-2004, 09:12 PM

I use distilled water only, even before I had my aquamist. There's just too much chalk in the water here (and that's near you :D ) even though the water is called "soft'

Maybe you could boil tap water first.

Janis

hahaha !! goed bezig !!
ge hebt mij dus gevonden !! dikke lol man ! :D :D

Warren_from_PINZ
23-03-2004, 12:56 AM
Boiling water won't remove minerals. Distilling it will though. At $1/litre here in New Zealand, it's cheap enough to use if you ask me. Mineral deposits are a definite hazard.

jaeneke
23-03-2004, 01:06 AM
Boiling water won't remove minerals. Distilling it will though. At $1/litre here in New Zealand, it's cheap enough to use if you ask me. Mineral deposits are a definite hazard.

wow ! thats expensive ! :shock:

i pay for 5L about 1.63 dollars here in belgium... :wink:

GotH2O
29-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Just rent a deionizing column, for USD50 you get a column good for ~700gallons depends on the mineral content. Good for water injection, final rinse for car wash so you dont have to dry it, a marine reef tank and drinking.