PDA

View Full Version : HFS-6 manual?

airboy
17-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Hi Richard

Is there a pdf version of the manual for the HFS-6? I am trying to set up a system (installed by someone else) and I am seeing strange readings on the flow meter.

The car is a Subaru STi with:
- 850cc injectors
- black jet (1mm?).
- Subaru Spec-C water tank (and level sensor I think).
- IDC trigger is set to ~30%.

I verified that if I turn off the system, the boost control defaults to wastegate pressure.

When the system is spraying, the flow meter LED would sometimes bounce up and down. The Water Level LED would sometimes light up during a pull but it doesn't seem to affect boost. Measured AFR is stable/consistent between runs.

Thanks in advance.

Sunny

Richard L
17-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Here is the link (http://www.aquamist.co.uk/HFS6/HFS-6-3w.pdf) to the user manual in pdf

Can you tell me the serial nuimber on the top of the FCM. It would be a sticky valve or sensor. If I send you another FCM, can be chnage it over yourself? I need your address again.

airboy
17-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the link Richard
The serial number of the flow module is 090012

I'll check into the wiring a bit closer today. The Water Level LED worries me a bit as it was lighting up but not killing boost (there was plenty of fluid in the Spec-C tank).

If it comes down to replacing the flow control module, should not be a problem to install it myself.

Sunny

Richard L
17-06-2009, 09:39 PM
The water level sensor circuit on the HFS-6 is different form the previous system. It has a timer built in, only triggeres the faillsafe after certain count and duty cycle over a preset period. It stops the level sensor from triggering the failsafe on every little flicker. If youi want an instant trigger on every little event , I can show you how to do it.

Thank for the module serial number. I cannot match the specification for this batch and make a deplicted version for you.

airboy
17-06-2009, 11:29 PM
The water level sensor circuit on the HFS-6 is different form the previous system. It has a timer built in, only triggeres the faillsafe after certain count and duty cycle over a preset period. It stops the level sensor from triggering the failsafe on every little flicker. If youi want an instant trigger on every little event , I can show you how to do it.

I'll see if the level sensor is defective or some other wiring issue.

Thank for the module serial number. I cannot match the specification for this batch and make a deplicted version for you.

Sorry, I don't understand what that means.

Richard L
17-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Perhaps I did not explain very clearly... try again.

Water level snesor: the gauge led will showe every flicker when the level sensor is activated, but will not trigger the failsafe until it is triggered persistently.
FCM: I am sending you another module to see if the original one has trapped debris or partically clogged or something jammed into the flow sensor turbine.

airboy
18-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Perhaps I did not explain very clearly... try again.

Water level snesor: the gauge led will showe every flicker when the level sensor is activated, but will not trigger the failsafe until it is triggered persistently.
FCM: I am sending you another module to see if the original one has trapped debris or partically clogged or something jammed into the flow sensor turbine.

Thanks Richard.

I understood that there is "low pass filtering" on the water level trigger. It was strange that it went off at all when the tank was full. I didn't understand the bit about "matching specifications for this batch...."

I adjusted the WL pot a bit yesterday as well as lowering the IDC threshold some more. I didn't get the Water level LED but the flow meter is still in-consistent, sometimes stable at ~5bars and sometimes bouncing up and down several bars, peaking at 6/7 bars.

Also pm's you my address.

Richard L
18-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Is the water level sensor close to a sub-woofer or a washer pump? The level senesor has a magnetic switch inside, sensitive to magnetic field.

We have many valves and they are all aseembled in house. Each one is designed to work with a specific PWM frequency and pressure. I need the serial number to look into the build specification so that we can learn from any operation anomalies. If your valve is unstable, we can alter varies part of the valve to overcome the flutter or resonance at certain frequencies.

Majority of the 12 Watt inline valves on the market is too slow at 160psi for the HFS-6. Working on the bench is very different to working in the car.

The flutter may be caused by debis in the flow sensor. The only way forward on this by the sending you anothervakve and we can examine yours on our test bench properly. Theris one thing I like you to check - is the inline restrictor free of clog?

airboy
18-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Is the water level sensor close to a sub-woofer or a washer pump? The level senesor has a magnetic switch inside, sensitive to magnetic field.

We have many valves and they are all aseembled in house. Each one is designed to work with a specific PWM frequency and pressure. I need the serial number to look into the build specification so that we can learn from any operation anomalies. If your valve is unstable, we can alter varies part of the valve to overcome the flutter or resonance at certain frequencies.

Majority of the 12 Watt inline valves on the market is too slow at 160psi for the HFS-6. Working on the bench is very different to working in the car.

The flutter may be caused by debis in the flow sensor. The only way forward on this by the sending you anothervakve and we can examine yours on our test bench properly. Theris one thing I like you to check - is the inline restrictor free of clog?

Thanks for the explanation Richard. Actually there is a small sub box (single 10", I think) in the trunk, mounted off-center, toward the passenger wheel well. I'd guess the distance from the level sensor to the speaker magnet is ~12".

About the inline restrictor, I asked the owner to check the size of it (or if it was installed at all) as I remember that a restrictor that is too big will have a spike of flow at pump turn-on. Is it possible to (by error) install the plumbing without using the restrictor?

Sunny

airboy
06-07-2009, 05:31 AM
The car owner informed me that, from his description, the low level fail safe tripped (level light) even after he removed the subwoofer box from the trunk. If the wires from the Spec-C tank level sensor does not have a good connection (intermittent open) would it trip the fail-safe. I don't know if the sensor is "normally closed" or "normally open".

Richard L
06-07-2009, 08:35 AM
The low level led doubles up with "failfsafe activation", page 15.4. The activation may be related to the failsafe rather low level. Wair until the new FMC module is insdtalled and set up the failsafe window again. At presnet, it is just guess work.

Richard L
06-07-2009, 09:01 AM
The car owner informed me that, from his description, the low level fail safe tripped (level light) even after he removed the subwoofer box from the trunk. If the wires from the Spec-C tank level sensor does not have a good connection (intermittent open) would it trip the fail-safe. I don't know if the sensor is "normally closed" or "normally open".

The sensor is:
- Open circuit when the arm is up (full).
- Cloce circuit when the arm is down (empty).

Two possibilities:
- The activation is not due to tank level but SC, WL and WH calibration, lasts about 4 seconds
- Activation due to tank level last abiout few tenths of second

If the level light flickers, it is due to the water surge of the Spec C tank (most likely) - please find out from your customer, which is which.