PDA

View Full Version : no power to the gauge?

Pit Viper
18-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Richard,

We finished hooking up the system, and went through the "start up" proceedure. No lights on the gauge are coming on. When I turn the car on, the yellow and green led's on the controller from the ecu are lighting up and flickering, but nothing else. I have 12V switched power coming in on the red-white-black-purple harness, and a good ground. Everything is hooked up except the water level indicator. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to check next.

Aaron

Pit Viper
18-07-2009, 09:16 PM
narrowed down a little more. We have power going into the box, but nothing heading out to the gauge.
Checked the gauge cable for continuity, and all lines are good. Hooked up the gauge cable to the box, turned the system on, and no power is coming through the cable for the gauge.

Richard L
18-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Few things to check:

1. see if the RJ45 flat cable is assembled as below:
(without twisting the flat cable - just bend back)

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/HFS6/RJ45-gauge.gif

2. Few othwer possibilities:
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1639

Pit Viper
18-07-2009, 11:01 PM
the cable ends match each others wire colors (mirrored), and there is electrical continuity across each set of pins.

The RJ plugs do not have any plastic overhangs as shown in the other post.
The water and pump pressure issues do not apply, as no water is in the system.

Richard L
18-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Can you check if you have 12V on the metal part of the 5A fuse (relate to the ground)

Pit Viper
18-07-2009, 11:18 PM
I have no voltage at the fuse that I can find.

By the way, 115 is a rough temperature to be out working on cars! :lol:

Richard L
19-07-2009, 12:22 AM
wow, thats hot!"

There is something wrong with the 4-way connector.

1. Check the crimp pins on the 4-way plug are not pushed out and securely located within the connector.

2. Please check the wires are in the correct orientiation to the 4-way molex plug:

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/HFS6/4-way-col.gif

Pit Viper
19-07-2009, 12:29 AM
The wires are all in the correct position, and appear to be affixed firmly in the molex plug.
I checked at the very end of the plug, and have 12V from the red wire, and a solid ground on both the white and black wires. At this point, I have not hooked up the purple wire to dim the gauge.

Richard L
19-07-2009, 12:35 AM
1. Disconnect the 4-way plug, probe the pins (red wire) and see if you see 12V. If there is 12V, re-enage the plug into the unit. (done already)
2. The 12v from the red wire goes straight to the 5A fuse (box edge side) - probe both end of the 5A fuse.
3. Still no luck, check the soldering joints underside of the connector.

Pit Viper
19-07-2009, 12:48 AM
I have to apologize. I was not using a good ground before to check voltage at the fuse.
I do have 12V at the fuse. So, the issue is somewhere after the fuse.
Using my good ground, I checked for voltage again at the end of the plug for the gauge, but there nothing on any pin.

Richard L
19-07-2009, 12:51 AM
This may sound silly, is the gauge switched on?

Pit Viper
19-07-2009, 12:53 AM
nothing is silly at this point, but I tried the button on the gauges both ways, just to be sure.

Pit Viper
19-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Richard,

Changed the power supply source per our discussion, and the gauge appears to be working fine. :D

Going to go out and run some water through it soon.

Richard L
19-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Please keep me updated.

Pit Viper
19-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Well, went through the manual testing proceedure (thank goodness, as I hadn't put the fuse in), and everything seems ok. I have good water flow, and all the required lights are coming on. Took it for a drive and did a couple of full-throttle pulls. Everything seems ok, except partway through each pull, the Water Level led on the gauge comes on. Which is very odd, seeing as how I do not have the water level sensor hooked up.
Any thoughts?

Richard L
19-07-2009, 11:38 PM
On the HFS-6, the water level light has two functions. If you have not calibrated the failsafe window, the failsafe will trip and turn on the yellow led. But it resets after a preset period of 4 seconds (adjustable 2-6 second). Page15.4b (brief mention). I am working on adding a few more pages on the manual.

Pit Viper
24-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Happy to report the system is now doing what it's supposed to. I haven't tuned anything in yet, but logged a quick pull on the way to work this morning. The intake air temp dropped 16.2 degrees F in 1.6 seconds. Love it.

Richard L
24-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Good to know. Ambient temperature still in the 100s?

What are you running 50:50? We have a newer design inline valve for the HFS-6, high flow (1400cc+) and pressure up to 180psi. We have if you are running more than 2 jets, just let me know, I will make an exchange at no cost.

We can now pushing the limit of seal material, closer tolerance, higher flow and response time.
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/HFS6/dial-gauge.jpg

Pit Viper
28-07-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm going to be running 6 jets as soon as I find a spare intake manifold, so that would be great!
I'm going to start a new thread with my setup. :smile:

20vturbo
26-04-2010, 02:34 AM
Richard,

Changed the power supply source per our discussion, and the gauge appears to be working fine. :D

Going to go out and run some water through it soon.

can you tell me more on this, I am having the same problem

Pit Viper
26-04-2010, 04:40 PM
I was only getting 5V to it. I had to swap where I was pulling power from.

20vturbo
27-04-2010, 03:45 AM
I was only getting 5V to it. I had to swap where I was pulling power from.

did you tap into the 12v injector wire???On my car that wire get's power from the fuel pump relay which is not always energized when you turn on ignition...After this I tapped into the wire that send power to the car's ecu and everything works fine now...I guess audi is different than most cars