PDA

View Full Version : Replacing I/C with WI - Need Help Please!

paynnsx
18-03-2004, 05:56 PM
1997 NSX
9.5:1 Pistons
Titanium Rods
Paxton NOVI2000 Blower
405 WHP / 285 WTQ @ 10.5 psi

I am currently running a Spearco core air to water I/C that is deffinately too small and I am out of room to go larger. AITs are hitting 150-160 F under full boost at redline and I am measuring 4-5 psi of pressure drop through the I/C.

I would love to yank out the I/C and replace with a WI system run by my standalone management using a custom AIT and boost map. Pulling the I/C should yield 15 psi of boost at the manifold. I could also pulley down a bit to 12 or 13 psi for safety.

Is this a good idea? Anyone have any first hand experience replacing the I/C with WI. I usually cruise the car 90% of the time anyways and run up into boost only at the track and occasional light to light races.

Thanks in advance for your input and design ideas.

http://www.payntechnologies.com/cars/images/devin1.jpg

robbilau
18-03-2004, 07:54 PM
I'm also taking a stab at this. See this thread: http://waterinjection.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=111. I am still waiting on parts which should be in in another couple of weeks (or so I'm told).

Sticks
20-03-2004, 02:15 PM
Why don't you use both. The IC is cooling the intake.

I would install the W/I system post I/C in the piping between the I/C and the throttle body. The W/I will increase you boost 4 - 5 psi, and that will put you right where you want to be.

paynnsx
20-03-2004, 03:54 PM
Why don't you use both. The IC is cooling the intake.

I would install the W/I system post I/C in the piping between the I/C and the throttle body. The W/I will increase you boost 4 - 5 psi, and that will put you right where you want to be.

How is the WI going to increase boost on my supercharger setup?

Checking the flow capacities of my air to water core at decent efficiency levels, I am allready overflowing by 200-250 CFM which explains the high IATs. I can't physically fit a larger core assembly in the car, so my next move is to leave it and deal with the pressure loss or find a suitable change for the better...possibly WI.

AKWRX
21-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Air to water ICs are only about 50-60% efficient (compared to a good air to air IC's 70-80%). You have identified the main problem, which is a 5-6 psi boost drop across the present IC. A good air to air IC will have only a 1+ psi pressure loss. Eliminating the present restrictive, under capacity, IC is worth trying. WI or a water/alcohol mix likely will do as well, or better, in cooling the intake charge and have the bonus of getting rid of the big pressure drop. The injection will also gain the much higher knock threshold on pump gas. Nothing to lose by trying it. You can always go back to the current IC system, and take another approach.

Jason96SL2
29-03-2004, 03:05 AM
Is that accurate? Air-water intercoolers are better at dropping temps than air-air. So you're saying the pressure drop over air-water is higher? Is the pressure drop measured to do a decrease in the mass of the air as it is cooled more? Many of the top race teams use air-water over air-air.