PDA

View Full Version : fail safe for centrifugal supercharger

flyinryanp
13-03-2010, 08:28 AM
what would be the best way to lower boost pressure with a centrifugal supercharger.

Howerton Engineering
13-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Do you have a BOV or Bypass Valve? Can you elaborate more on the setup so we can get an idea of the hardware/software capabilities and limitations, then we can put forth some options.

flyinryanp
23-03-2010, 10:24 PM
07 corvette zo6 with an a&a supercharger kit. its intercooled and has a b.o.v. you can see all the setup on the a and a website. also can you put the meth nozzle after the throttle body butterfly

Howerton Engineering
24-03-2010, 03:02 AM
It might be an abrupt power loss, but you could activate the BOV in a failsafe event. Not sure what it dumps boost to, maybe all the way to atm., but it would certainly protect the engine.

You could use a secondary BOV with smaller orifice, or any valve for that matter to limit the amount of boost dumped leaving the primary BOV to operate normally. It would be a bit of trial and error process, but could be a smoother operating system.

flyinryanp
25-03-2010, 08:06 AM
found an air solenoid for air ride that will vent boost should be easy to hook up what about putting the jet after the throttle body plate.

Howerton Engineering
26-03-2010, 01:33 AM
You can put it after, but the farther away from the intake manifold usually the better. It allows a longer time for mixing, and evaporation. This gives the best mixing and homogeneous mixture, thus promoting the best distribution throughout the manifold.

flyinryanp
26-03-2010, 02:05 AM
i would like to put it further away but the maf sensor is right at the throtlle body http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6586/07zo6supercharged.jpg

Howerton Engineering
26-03-2010, 03:04 AM
So forgive my ignorance on this. Looking at the Z06 intake, is there a center plenum, starting at the TB, that goes the length of the manifold that the 8 runners draw from? I'm trying to get a feel for the layout of the intake design and runner entrances, etc.

flyinryanp
26-03-2010, 07:42 AM
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5297/07zo6supercharged2.jpg does this help

Howerton Engineering
26-03-2010, 03:41 PM
After the TB, is there a log down the middle of the intake manifold that the 8 runners draw from? How do the 8 runners I see on top draw from a plenum?

flyinryanp
26-03-2010, 08:17 PM
i was going to tap the throttle body itself sorry for the confusion. i just wanted to make sure there was no siphoning problem on these systems.

Richard L
26-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Next to the throttle may not be the best place as droplets can quiclkly be taken out of suspension when they make contact on a surface. This will decrease the rate of vaporation several folds.

Put the jet at the exit of the SS is not a bad idea.

flyinryanp
27-03-2010, 02:00 AM
m y boss got ahead of me and went ahead and tapped the throttle body and put them in front of the throttle plate at an angle if that doesnt hepl explain it ill take a picture of the actual throttle body
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/7791/corvettethrottlebodyp.jpg
thanks for your time and help so far bye the way

Richard L
27-03-2010, 09:36 AM
It is always possible to plug it up with the supplied jet adaptor plug. Ensure the the full spray pattern is not affected by the angled installation.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum/spray-angle.gif

Please let us know how it performs as it is.

stevieturbo
28-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Why not speak to A&A ?

Putting the nozzle AFTER the air charge temperature sensor is not a smart idea. Its best for the ecu to see the temp change.

As for lowering boost, that is very easy to achieve. Just block or vent the signal line to the air bypass valve or BOV ( using a simple solenoid ). If this doesnt have boost pressure applied to it, it will simply blow open causing a very sudden boost drop.

IMO putting the nozzle where you have, is far from ideal.

flyinryanp
29-03-2010, 06:59 AM
thankyou for your guys input