PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 964 Supercharger and no Intercooler

sunnysidebb
18-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi all,
I am in the process of building form complete restoration a 1962 VW Split screen Camper.
It is going to run completely on Porsche gear. The engine will be a 964 and supercharged. I have little or no room for IC's.

Can WI and methanol do away with IC's.
Can the WI be modulated as fuel injectors can. In other words if I ask my tuner to Tune & Map with WI running is it possible to Map the WI as well or at least control the amount without changing Jets.
Some fact.
Standard comp ratio 11.5:1
Boost at 0.5 bar ish
No IC's
Motec ECU with safety outputs to what ever is required. ( tbd)
Fuel either 95 or Vpower 98 octane.
Engine cooling will be on the edge so it wont be a cold running engine.
Standard power output 260 bhp
Estimated power output 360BHP.
So 100 bhp extra.

Thanks,
Frank

Howerton Engineering
18-09-2010, 10:45 PM
The Aquamist kits are all IDC based so mapping with the FI is quite easy. Some kits have trimming and gain functions to alter the curve for the application. I think a bit of testing is going to be required to find the sweet spot for your setup. Water provides good detonation resistance and methanol cools the IAT's while providing some octane. The mixture you use is the tricky part, I think the mapping and hardware is not too difficult.

sunnysidebb
18-09-2010, 11:15 PM
The Aquamist kits are all IDC based so mapping with the FI is quite easy. Some kits have trimming and gain functions to alter the curve for the application. I think a bit of testing is going to be required to find the sweet spot for your setup. Water provides good detonation resistance and methanol cools the IAT's while providing some octane. The mixture you use is the tricky part, I think the mapping and hardware is not too difficult.

Thank you.
1. Will I need to run methanol at all??Or is some requires in the winter to stop freezing??
2. Can I or the Tuner tune the WI whilst on the road. You see, the van will not be on rollers it will all be done on the road to give the best cooling. The Motec ( or equivalent) ecu will be programed with a laptop using O2 sensors, intake temp, engine temp, fuel pressures and injector timing/duty cycles , MAF etc. I'm not sure the level of detonation sensing it will have, I dont thing the 964 has the ability to mount individual cylinder Knock sensors??? I'm not sure though.

I dont have any idea of boost control if the WI or engine sensing goes out of spec'. Its a Supercharger so I will have to talk to TPC Racing on that.

Thanks
Frank