PDA

View Full Version : Map Switch fail - configure for ground activation?

5mall5nail5
02-10-2010, 03:15 AM
Hi all,

I am looking to use the map switch fail safe. My ECU wants a open or closed ground for switching. So, when the input is switched from open to ground, it changes to Map 2. When its open, the ECU runs on Map 1.

Is this configuration possible out of the HFS-6?

Thanks!

5mall5nail5
04-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Bump -

Maybe my question is confusing?

Basically, my ECU wants a ground-activated map switch signal. Can HFS 6 do this?

Howerton Engineering
05-10-2010, 01:40 AM
You can use the normal failsafe contact to do this, just make sure the dummy resistor is not linked if you do.

5mall5nail5
05-10-2010, 03:05 AM
Jeff by that you mean the normal wastegate one? Sorry, the whole failsafe section of the manual confuses me. Which pin of which wire?

Thanks!

Howerton Engineering
05-10-2010, 03:46 AM
Ground for safe map or ground for aggressive map?

5mall5nail5
05-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Ground for safe map or ground for aggressive map?

I can go either way - I'd like to be in aggressive map w/ the HFS6 gauge switched on. When the ECU sees an open circuit on the switch its in MAP1 when its closed, MAP 2. Either could be aggressive I just need to know the status of the ground wire on true fail.

Richard L
05-10-2010, 01:40 PM
brown wire of the yellow connector to ground and white wire to your ECU

Here is the set up:

1. gauge off:
white/brown ....... open circuit

2. Gauge on:
white/brown wire .... close circuit

3. Gauge on and failsafe activation
white/brown wire .... open circuit

5mall5nail5
05-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Excellent - that will work perfectly. Then my MAP1 will be my failedsafe/no meth tune and MAP2 will be with.

Perfect guys thanks.

5mall5nail5
08-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Richard -

I did this, and for some reason my ECU says the map is switching back and forth back and forth back and forth. Its not constant, it seems a little erratic. I used the YELLOW connector, with the WHITE wire going to a switch ground input on my ECU and the BROWN wire on the yellow connector to ground. Is this correct? Could something be wrong here I don't understand why its switching back and forth.

Thanks,
Jon

Howerton Engineering
08-10-2010, 05:43 PM
At what frequency is it switching back and forth? Is the "B" light at the end of the gauge bargraph switching at the same frequency?

5mall5nail5
08-10-2010, 05:46 PM
At what frequency is it switching back and forth? Is the "B" light at the end of the gauge bargraph switching at the same frequency?

I didn't notice - I will check again after I grab lunch. This was just with the car idling so I wasn't getting into boost or anything.

Howerton Engineering
08-10-2010, 05:59 PM
I certainly shouldn't do that while idling. The relay contacts you are are tied to are reflected in the "B" light at the end of the gauge when the failsafe is activated. If it is switching you would certainly hear the clicking in the controller. Put a light across it and see if the light blinks.

Maybe the ground the wire is connected to not stable? Just an idea.

5mall5nail5
08-10-2010, 07:46 PM
I certainly shouldn't do that while idling. The relay contacts you are are tied to are reflected in the "B" light at the end of the gauge when the failsafe is activated. If it is switching you would certainly hear the clicking in the controller. Put a light across it and see if the light blinks.

Maybe the ground the wire is connected to not stable? Just an idea.

Jeff - is this the lead coming from the flow control module? Or is it one the yellow CAT5 cable? I didn't hear any relay clicking on the unit at all. I hear the the unit click when I press the button to turn the gauge on, but while the ECU is saying MAP1/MAP2/MAP1/MAP2 etc, nothing is clicking. I will check my grounds and everything. I am also going to go check to see if I manually ground the pin I am hooked to whether or not it stays in MAP1 or MAP2.

5mall5nail5
08-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Ok - just cut the lead and touched it to chassis whlie car running to switch maps. It flashes in the ECU erratically so thats good news in a way - at least its not the HFS6 blinking it. .

5mall5nail5
08-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Jeff thanks for all your help - figured it out. My ECU had a "Max Throttle for activation of MAP2" set to 0. So it would only engage map 2 when the throttle was at 0 and it must bounce between 0 and 1% at idle.