PDA

View Full Version : LED flow problem with gauge

Caillin
20-02-2011, 01:06 AM
I've just finished the installation of the HFS-3 on my EVO VI. Everything so far went to plan fine for a stealth install using the factory intercooler water spray tank.

Now, I'm up to the point where I need to calibrate the failsafes but I'm having a problem with getting more than one LED to light up in the flow area of the gauge.

When I set the SC pot all the way to the right, the best I can get is a small lighting of the second LED with a full power 1st gear run, and only briefly. All other gears and load points only trigger a single LED. Moving the SC pot to the left seems to be reducing this, though it's hard to tell when only one LED lights.

What I'd ideally like to know is what is the minimum range of the WFS to show properly on the gauge with the sensitivity turned all the way up to maximum?

I'm currently only running a single 0.6mm jet with the 0.5mm restrictor. I realise this is a lot less than most people here are running, which is why I think I'm probably outside the minimum sensitivity for the WFS.

I still have the factory injectors which are 560cc each.
I'm going to be using 50/50 water/meth mostly, but want the ability to just run water if needs be. So I've settled on 15% flow relative to fuel as it's on the cutover point for both those needs:

560cc x 4 = 2240cc total fuel flow
2240cc x 0.15 = 336cc water/meth flow
Pressure graph: 160psi - 22psi = 138psi

Looking at the included graphs, this is how I came up with the single 0.6mm jet requirement.

Would be good to find out whether the system just can't operate with such a low flow rate, but I'm doubting that. I don't think there would be any harm in stepping up to the 0.7mm jet, so if I don't get any guidance, I may try that when I have time to see how many LEDs that will light the the SYS jumper shorted for full flow.

Any help would be great guys.

Richard L
20-02-2011, 10:11 AM
The HFS-3's flow adjustment range is designed to matched the jet/jets supplied with the system. We have a solution for low flow applications:

1. We can reflash the wfs sensitive table for you. If you are in the USA, send your controller to Jeff at howertonengineering.com or to us in UK and elsewhere.

2. We can also exchange the existing valve to a lower flow range, available from Jeff Howeerton or us. You need to send in the FAV only or the entire assembly if you are not mechanical minded.

Ideally, do both.

Please note the flow chart for the jets are raw data, does not take into account into any system losses such as hose length, bends and valve letentcy etc. Allow 20% extra on top. Oversizing is not a problem because you can always reduce the flow via the controller.

Caillin
20-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Richard.

I live in Australia, so both options would require a fair amount of faffing about with postage, etc.

Regarding the jets though, from what you've said it should be reasonable to probably use the 0.8mm jet with the 0.7mm restrictor, and then maybe bump the gain down a little bit?

Will a single 0.8mm flow enough to be picked up by the flow controller to be able to tune the failsafes?

Richard L
20-02-2011, 10:33 AM
In this case, replace the 0.6m jet with 0.8mm, the final flow can be determined by the controller. I think it will improve the display and alos give you a better control range.