PDA

View Full Version : one more nozzle sizing question

kc_chevota
23-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Hi I'm new to the site and can?t seem to find anyone running wi on a big diesel. I'm building a system for a Detroit 8.2 turbo, around 180hp and 6psi or .413 bar of boost, and also injection propane. I plan on using a pump with 90psi output. What nozzle size would be a good starting point and what would be the largest recommended?

Thanks Rob

Richard L
27-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Diesel engine is extremely receptive to water injection. We have injected 600% water to fuel without stalling, other than it wasn't very happy. Splattering a great deal of unbunrt diesels out of the exhaust pipe.

Aquamist is bringing out a new system specifcally for diesel engines sooner than you think

Dust
28-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Can't wait to hear more about this. There Are a few sites for light and medium duty diesels.

nutron
24-07-2012, 02:32 PM
The restriction to how much water you can run is the cylinder temp, not the fuel quantity. As long as the compressed charge is above the auto ignition temperature of diesel it will ignite even in the pressence of water. Unless you have a temperature probe in the cylinder you will not be able to accurately gauge the temperature but you could try to calculate the cylinder temp from compression ration and boost pressure and determin roughly the amount of water/methanol in what ever proportions you use would reduce the temperature below the auto ignition point. Personally I think you would blow your piston rings, head gasket and valve seals before you reached that point with a 50:50 mix of water/methanol in a diesel. I ran 1.5ltr/min of 50:50 in my 1.9CDTI at 2000+rpm with 14-32psi of relative boost pressure. My piston rings and valve seals were fine but I eventually cracked my aluminium head between the valves. There were no noticable symptoms of this but during dismantling to fine another fault which turned out to be the EGR charge cooler rupturing, I found four cracks between pistons in the head.

On an 8ltr engine, you could flow the limit of the pumps happily.