PDA

View Full Version : BMW-335i (E90 N54)

Richard L
11-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Forwords for the N54 application

The N54 engine
... is blessed with a vey intelligent engine management system.
One of the many great features is very beneficial to water/methanol injection.

Some basics:
- The engine management (DME) is only as intelligent as what it can process from multiple sensors.
- The power output from a given condition is limited by quality rather than quantity of fuel ingested.

Water/methanol injection:
The main function is to provide inlet, in-cylinder cooling and some octane enhancement.
When the DME is seeing cooler charge air and absence of knock, it will not limit power to protect the engine.

How much is too much?
The limit will depend on the DME?s ability to pull fuel to maintain correct air-fuel ratio.
The N54 engine is equipped with two lambda sensor to monitor each bank of three cylinders.
Unfortunately it cannot read each cylinder individually so lambda (excess oxygen) is
based on the weakest cylinder, other cylinders will be running rich especially a large amount of
water/methanol is injected in the inlet tract without any guarantee of even distribution.

A few solutions?
1. Avoid injecting high ratio of methanol to fuel so the afr variations between cylinders are minimised.

2. Port injection is one way to overcome this variation. There is cost consideration as well as the
risk of one clogged jet. A good failsafe is therefore essential. Although the DME can replace the
lean cylinder but also means the other two cylinders will be running pig rich until the clogged jet is serviced.

3. Placing the jets as far away from the throttle is one way to improve the cylinder distribution.
Longer inlet path allows more evaporation to take place and better cooling. Reduction of droplet
size (mass) by the process of evaporation promotes even cylinder distribution.

4. A delivery system that will keep the methanol ratio constant so the DME can pull fuel gently
rather abruptly. A single stage based at one trigger point is not ideal unless you live life
by the quarter mile or only interested in WOT dyno results.

In conclusion...
if you are investing on a wmi system, why compromised for the sake of a
hundred dollars or two on a system that will perform well under all load
condition with a proper failsafe. You will only get what you paid for.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/HFS4/wiring/N54/H4v3-N54_FS.gif

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/HFS4/wiring/N54/dme parts.gif

Richard L
30-03-2012, 09:54 PM
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/HFS4/wiring/N54/H4-TP.gif

Richard L
30-03-2012, 09:56 PM
This is the wiring diaghram for Vishnu procede Rev3

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/HFS4/wiring/N54/HFS4v2-N54-procede-Rev3.gif

Richard L
31-03-2012, 08:56 AM
We have had a few requests from the N54 community to provide information on "how to" interface
with the JB4 tuner. After some research we have some up with following working environments:

1. JB4 requires a full flow signal of 0-2V to cover the 0-2000cc/min range
2. The HFS-4 will output 0.25V to 2.3V signal to match JB4's requirement.
3. Finer failsafe trigger details has to be configured via the JB4 software.
4. The sole failsafe responsibilities are now rested upon the JB4.
5. We can provide additional failsafe soultions by the HFS-4 if requested.
6. Since the HFS-4 provides very fast response to load changes from cruise to WOT,
ensure the JB4's failsafe algorithm is equipped to deal with this working environment.
7. Please post here for extra support for seamless HFS-4 to JB4 integration.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/HFS4/wiring/N54/HFS4-v2-JB4-v3.gif

Richard L
31-03-2012, 10:28 AM
The HFS-4's water jet thread size is M8 x 0.75mm. For ease of installation we provide two M8 to 1/8NPT adaptors.

Some people has experienced problem of fitting these adaptors into their charge pipes. There are rumours that our NPT thread is different from other NPT threads. This is not true.

NPT thread is tapered. Our NPT thread has a large diameter, but thread pitch is the same. All you need to do is to run the tap a bit deeper. We did this for several reasons.

1. We have a stronger wall between the M8 and outer NPT thread.
2. The large diameter allows more freedom to adjust the depth of the adaptor.
3. No need to use plumber's tap to fill up the gaps.
4. Lastly, clean the components before loctite.

Just to confirm, our jet adaptor can be fitted into any charge pipe.

thesalg
31-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Thank you Rich for the diagrams. Does this mean I can use map3 with the JB4? What settings should I input as Terry only told me all the failsafe's would rely on the pwm kit.

Richard L
31-03-2012, 03:47 PM
I am a bit confused on what Terry was saying about the pin #15 on the JB4 and it is suppose to talk care of the failsafe.

Either way, I can make another alternative drawing so that the failsafe is implemented on the HFS-4. I am not a vendor on the forum so I cannot post. Let me know if you can ask Terry to confirm one way or the other.

thesalg
05-04-2012, 11:42 PM
I am a bit confused on what Terry was saying about the pin #15 on the JB4 and it is suppose to talk care of the failsafe.

Either way, I can make another alternative drawing so that the failsafe is implemented on the HFS-4. I am not a vendor on the forum so I cannot post. Let me know if you can ask Terry to confirm one way or the other.

Thanks Richard...this is response I got from Terry:
"If it comes with a flow sensor you can wire the 5V output to the JB4 pin#15 and skip the rest of the AM failsafe wiring, as the JB4 will handle that for you."
I'm still confused if I still use map 3 as if it was his integrated system

Richard L
06-04-2012, 10:22 AM
In this case follow the diagram on post #4. Just connect the yellow wire to pin #15 of the JB4 and let JB4 take care of the failsafe.

If you want double safe, add the brown and white wire to cut boost (post #1)

dblrguy
25-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Is there a diagram for HSF-4 to Procede Rev 3 install for the 335i?

Richard L
25-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Can you tell me a little bit more about the rev3. Is this the same version for Vishnu's PWM system?

If it is I can make a diagram for it. The HFS-4 can work with any one of the N54 piggies.

dblrguy
28-06-2012, 02:00 AM
Rev 3 is just the newest version of the procede. From what ive been told i would hook up the Red wire to 12V pre crank and green to the PMW in, from your grey cable. What is the difference from this 12v pre crank and the 12v from the power input cable? Do you happen to have detailed instructions for my car specifically? I don't have my procede yet, i'm hoping it will be self explanatory where to connect the green wire. From the user (Green) cable where do i connect the yellow and white wires?

Next question is what computer is smarter. The one you programmed in the Aquamist system or the one Shiv uses in the Procede. Are there benefits of using one letting the procede tell when to inject meth over letting the Aquamist system read all the ECU information from the standard install and just tell the procede when meth is flowing for map switching?

Thanks for your help with all of my questions. I have the Howerton Tank installed in the trunk, power hooked up to the battery, relay wire ran to the glove box area, and meth line ran under the car to the engine bay. I dont have my charge pipe yet but would like to finish up the wiring to the ECU.

Another question. What flow restrictor should I use for this application? I'm intending to use two 1m injectors.

Thanks again. Looking forward to your responses.

Richard L
28-06-2012, 11:57 PM
I have just posted (post #3) the HFS4/procede rev3 interfacing wiring diagram.

I will address your questions as soon as I can here.

dblrguy
29-06-2012, 01:42 AM
I have just posted (post #3) the HFS4/procede rev3 interfacing wiring diagram.

I will address your questions as soon as I can here.

Thank you so much for the diagram! Do I need to use a restrictor if i'm going to run two 1mm jets. Do I need to make any changes to the board?

Richard L
29-06-2012, 09:28 PM
It is not necessary to use the restrictor if your are running two 1mm jets. It is better to leave some upper ceiling in case you want to increase flow via the controller.

It the circuit is not already pre-configured from your suppler, you need to do the following:

Stand-alone on flash tune:
1. Set the MPS solder link to "2" (2.5bar map sensor).
2. Set the CEL to DR1 to prevent CEL if you are using the on-board boost cut unpon failsafe activation.

Procede Piggy-back:
3. Set the "Threshold" trimmer to 12% (fully counter clockwise).
4. Link "DFS" to disable failsafe activation since Procede takes care of this.

Richard L
29-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Next question is what computer is smarter. The one you programmed in the Aquamist system or the one Shiv uses in the Procede. Are there benefits of using one letting the procede tell when to inject meth over letting the Aquamist system read all the ECU information from the standard install and just tell the procede when meth is flowing for map switching?

If you are running Procede, it is better to let it control the water/meth flow and onset of failsafe.

Both HFS4 and Procede reference load as prime flow control from multiple sensors. Procede controls flow from raw sensor signals compared to HFS-4 reads composite Fuel injector signals as well as boost and fuel rail pressure. Both methods are very competent performers.

If you are running a flash tune, let the HFS-4 control the flow and failsafe.

johmei
26-07-2013, 01:52 PM
In the process of installing my HFS-4 kit. Any tips on what wire to tap for the purple "dim" wire indicated by "head light switch" in the diagrams. I would like to skip having to find a good one myself by trial and error. Sweet kit with everything included otherwise.

Richard L
27-07-2013, 09:29 AM
The connection for the dimming wire (purple) is in the footwell module. Wiring as follows:
(red arrows - anyone)

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/HFS4/wiring/N54/footwell module.png

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/HFS4/wiring/N54/dimming.gif

johmei
27-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Ok perfect, thanks Richard!

Richard L
27-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Let me know if works.

dubversion
02-05-2014, 09:39 PM
I've installed mine today and i will make a link to a seperate installation thread on this forum. A few things i already want to mention:

1) When you are in test mode, and you're checking the wiring, by unplugging all connections to the controller but the power cable, the grey ECU connector and the gauge, you'll ALSO have to connect the GREEN user connector to the controller. The green USER cable has the Direct injection signal. It does NOT state this in the manual for the HFS4 v2 that i have, and probably also not in the v3. If you do not connect the green USER connector, the controller will not pick up (indirectly) the throttle position, which is supposed to blink accordingly in the early test phase. We found that it doesn't blink at all and stays off throughout, indicating a possible wiring issue, but it's just you're controller needs the green user cable.

2) The last test before you can tune the car, is to set the "sensitivity" of the system with the THRES dial on the controller. By default, this will be set to 12 o'clock, but i had to set it 3'o clock (almost completely counter clockwise) before it would start to spray anything.

3) Another thing that wasn't immediately clear to me, is that there's actually an ON-OFF switch on the gauge. Very helpful if you're testing with the SYS jumper in place; it's a quick way to engage/disengage the priming test and the nozzle/jet test.

In my 335i Touring E91, it took me one full day to install the hardware and one day to test the system. I reckon to custom tune by Cobb flash will be another day.

Also, don't forget to turn the SC dial on the gauge to indicate the 5-6 bars in SYS testing mode, as instructed by the manual.

Hope that helps. My installation thread will follow once i have some dyno results to back it up.

Greetings,

Dub

Richard L
03-05-2014, 11:36 PM
1) This is correct, the green harness has to be plugged in for the green led to blink. I will revised the user manual accordingly, Thank you.

2) On page 12.4, the manual did mention to set the "THRES" to fully CCW (8am). 3 o'clock is the wrong direction.

3) On page 17.8 did mention the usage of the gauge button.

Thanks for chiming in, #1 was very well spotted.

Richard