PDA

View Full Version : New here and have a few ?'s

shoregtp
27-10-2003, 07:40 PM
Hello,

I am installing a 1s Aquamist System on my 2000 GTP Supercharged V6. What I need to know is, does the High Speed Valve wires connect to the Hobbs Pressure switch? Does anyone have any pictures of this? Also, I tried to use my Relay and it did not work. Can I run the Red wire directly to the Battery and the Large Green (-) to the (-) Battery? It ran when I did that, but I would need to install a switch so it doesnt run all the time. Any information would be appreaciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Forum Admin
27-10-2003, 09:39 PM
I am a bit confused by a couple things:

The 1s does not include a high speed valve.

The 1s does not have a green wire that I am aware of.

What does the dealer say regarding wiring?

On the 1s, the relay should be wired to the plug for the pump. The red wire to + on the battery, the black wire to the - on the battery, the purple wire to a circuit that provides 12v+ when the ignition is in the on position.

The loose thin black wire from the plug goes to the boost pressure switch, the loose thin grey wire from the plug goes to the other terminal on the switch. The boost pressure switch is a normally closed relay that opens on the set boost pressure - it is not polarity sensitive to the black and grey wires. The boost pressure switch will control the pump on/off operation, properly wired it will not run all the time. As long as the grey wire is grounded the pump will not run, when the grey wire does not sense ground the pump will run.

If you have a 2c or 2d the wiring is more complicated.

shoregtp
27-10-2003, 11:41 PM
Ed,

Sorry for the wrong info. I have a 2c system. This is new to me....

Thanks,

Greg

Forum Admin
28-10-2003, 12:42 AM
No problem that is what we are here for to spread as good and accurate information as best we can.

You do know the 2c requires a separate injector driver. The pump and pressure switch wires are connected as described above. However you need an ECU or other injector driver to drive the HSV.

I am not sure where the green wire comes in at since the only wires not addressed in my prior post on the 2c are the two for the HSV. The ones I am familar with have a red wire and a brown wire. Yes the red wire needs an 12v+ source that is hot when the car is running. The brown wire should be connected to the driver switching signal to cycle the hsv at the appropriate rates and frequencies based on the inputs to the driver (usually rpm and load).

Just to be clear you don't have the 2d which comes with the fia2 which will drive the hsv by duplicating the IDC of one of your existing fuel injectors?

It sounds as if maybe the seller didn't give you all the instructions needed. Maybe see what they can give you or check the aquamist site since I am still not sure what the "thick" green wire is for unless you have an fia2. I suppose it could be connecting to the brown wire on the hsv in which case you would need to do what is described above.

We will get you there...

shoregtp
28-10-2003, 12:56 AM
Ed.

Where are you located. I live in Ocean City, NJ and work in Cherry Hill but stay in Trenton a lot. The system I got used from a guy with another Grand Prix GTP. He went 13.0 with the WI and now goes 11.4's with a new Blower. Ill get pictures. This is the site that i have been using....illl post about it later

Greg

Forum Admin
28-10-2003, 01:09 AM
PM'd you.

Forum Admin
28-10-2003, 01:17 AM
Oh also did he include a check valve, if the jet is going after the throttle body which I think it needs to on this application you need a check valve to prevent siphoning under vaccuum.

shoregtp
28-10-2003, 06:15 PM
PM'd Ed! :o

Greg

Forum Admin
28-10-2003, 08:33 PM
OK those were helpful. If you have a harness similar to the pics of the red ones set up then the green wire is connecting to the brown hsv wire at the connector. This wire is the drive wire for the injector and will open and close the hsv based on a pwm. The pwm can be driven by an open channel on a fuel manager or by an fia2 from aquamist that replicates the IDC of one of your fuel injectors. Basically adding an fia2 would make your setup a 2d but you only need it if you don't have another load based injector driver available.

The red car should also probably be using a check valve as he will likely get some siphoning when the TB is closed and the manifold is under vaccuum.

The track pics make me miss my T/A.

shoregtp
29-10-2003, 04:35 PM
Ed,

I found out a little more info. I have a 2C system with an accumulator. I have it all hooked up, the only problem I am having now is hooking up the HSV wires to my fuel injector wires and then the hobbs pressure switch from there. I need to find the diagram I had last night to show you what i have.

Thanks,

Greg

shoregtp
29-10-2003, 04:40 PM
[url to commercial site deleted, ed.]

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/sys2c/prodrv99s1.GIF

[added image referenced]

The 2 wires at the bottom of the page I need more info on....ECU Drive wires. They goto the fuel injector wires then to the Hobbs pressure switch right?

Forum Admin
30-10-2003, 12:43 AM
What you are referring to as the hobbs switch I assume is the switch labeled as 5-8 bar switch in the picture. This switch is used for pressure management and is only attached to the pump switch. The line out the bottom is the water hose.

The two wires from the HSV are red and brown (you may have a green wire on the other side of the plug you have). The red goes to a constant 12v+ source. The brown is the driver wire and is connected to a pulsed ground - an injector driver. Check with the others using it on your make what they are using for the drive reference. Either report back on their use or invite them to join the forum! :)

There are some implementations where the injector manager is also monitoring the pressure switch circuitry and making comparisons for fault monitoring purposes but the HSV and the swtich circuits are not connected.

Note: I am trying to keep this site as commercial free as possible, while keeping it useful. See policies. Not a biggie still new and starting out. Obviously on implementation the need to discuss a brand of kit remains necessary but not a dealer of the brand.

shoregtp
30-10-2003, 07:09 PM
Ed, sorry about that link.... :?

I will find out more info and report back.

Greg

shoregtp
30-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Ed,

Basically all I need to know is where do the HSV wires goto? I have Red and Brown like you said, then it goes into a harness ====[ ]=====
and on the other side I have 2 cut wires, Brown and orange? Does the orange goto ground. Basically, I got the system to flow water, now I just need it to boost at a certain PSI. The hobbs pressure switch is after market.

Greg

Forum Admin
30-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Greg,

The switch on the manifold is there to turn the pump on and off to control the approximate pressure in the line.

If you have another switch as well then this is likely what your GTP brethren have been using to turn the water on and off. This is a different method of control than I have encountered before...

Theorectically you could connect the red wire from the hsv to a fused 12v+ source - I assume the orange wire on the other side of the harness is lined up with the red wire - so run the orange wire to a 12v+ source with a 3-5 amp fuse in line.

The brown wire is the driving wire. It does not sound like you or the ones that you know who are using it are using this as a variable flow system - rather they are using the pressure switch to merely open or close the hsv. If this is the case then the brown wire can be connected to the switch that has a pressure reference on one terminal and connect the other terminal to ground.

This set up will do the following things -

It will maintain pressure in the line at the setting on the manifold switch line pressure can be altered with the manifold switch setting.
It will open the valve and keep it open above the pressure switch setting.
It will close the valve and keep it closed below the pressure switch setting.
You will get a constant flow rate when the system is engaged - rather than a variable flow based on load that the 2c was intended for (but that would require some sort of electronic injector management). The effect of this is that with increased rpm you will actually be injecting less water into each intake stroke of the cylinders. This does not negate the effect of water injection it just limits it primarily to it intercooler effects and lessens some of the in cylinder effects as you get to higher rpms. As you know from your friends' use there is still benefit from this slightly limited implementation.

This will work I just have never done it before myself with the 2c - the 1s does the same thing with fewer components - though with the 1s the pressure is not maintained in the line when off and the pressure is not adjustable on the 1s.

If I get a chance I will redraw a layout for how to set this up based on the components you have.

Just to be clear, you have:

A pump
A manifold w/ a pressure switch on it
A normally opened switch connected to a pressure reference and two terminals
The high speed valve
An injection jet

shoregtp
30-10-2003, 10:50 PM
YGM

Forum Admin
31-10-2003, 12:08 AM
I now understand what manner of "mapping" is being done.

http://www.turboice.net/images/GTP_System_2c.BMP

Edits in red.

Provided there is no issue with two loads on your car's computer driving two injectors this would work. I do not know if that circuit would be sensitive to two injectors on it or not.

pbonsalb
31-10-2003, 03:16 PM
Perhaps someone could contact Brad Schaffner to ask him about this. It depends on the capabilities of the car's computer. The computer grounds the injector; the injector gets 12V constant. I have mine set up this way, but have wondered whether it is sound. Apparently, Brad now has some sort of new injector driver that is better. Its not the full computer, but I am not sure exactly what it is.

My car has low impedence injectors, but a computer with high impedence drivers. It uses a resistor pack to lower the current to the injectors. What I have done is tapped into the power before the resistor pack for the power to the high speed valve, and then tapped into an injector ground line for the high speed valve ground. While I can say that the computer has not failed yet, I cannot be sure that the fuel injector for which the ground line is tapped is functioning 100%. I assume it is, as the car seems to run fine. I figure that since the computer is capable of grounding a high impedence injector (since on non turbo models the same computer drive high impedence injectors), then there should be no problem grounding the low impedence injector and the high speed valve.

Philip Bradley