PDA

View Full Version : More Boost with M45

titan
25-05-2004, 11:12 AM
i know this is a forum on water injection but im having trouble finding info on raising boost levels.My question is how to raise boost levels on a focus with M45 gen3 roots type charger without recking the blower? i noticed some people have boost as high as 10psi,stock m45 is 5psi! also i would like to run on 91 octane.

Charged Performance
27-05-2004, 12:21 AM
Generally, without replacing the entire blower boost increases are obtained through changing the pulleys. This should be matched with a chip replacement to handle the different conditions the engine will now run under. Presumably the kit provider would have already tested that the blower is capable of handling the increased boost levels of their pulley.

dreday
30-09-2004, 06:25 AM
i know this is a forum on water injection but im having trouble finding info on raising boost levels.My question is how to raise boost levels on a focus with M45 gen3 roots type charger without recking the blower? i noticed some people have boost as high as 10psi,stock m45 is 5psi! also i would like to run on 91 octane. i got a smaller pulley for my m45 trd blower, i called magnuson and in turn turned me on to a guy in florida, e-mail me and ill mail you back his phone # tomorrow.

Lysander
29-03-2005, 01:02 AM
There are many different companies to get press-on supercharger pullies from, try a google search for some of the following:

ZZPerformance
Intense Racing
South Florida Pulley HQ
Thrasher

etc...

There are also a few people who sell them on eBay. I like hot swap hubs that allow you to change pullies in a few minutes after the first installation. Do not attempt to R&R pullies with a three jaw puller, you need to rent/buy the proper tool or you WILL destroy the pulley.

Rootzz06
15-10-2005, 02:47 AM
I have a mp112 and one of the reasons I got involved in WI is because when going to a smaller pulley it is common for the corvette/GM truck guys to use methanol as a tuning method to add fuel/suppress detonation to the increased airflow.This isnt as good as a proper tune and you should watch AFR,fuel preassure and EGT if possible.All this done on a dyno if possible--by then you may as well retune correctly!The thing is that changing the pulley size on the Eatons isnt as drastic a change in CFM or boost like the turbo guys' potential so you can get away with Alky tuning.IMO I dont want to depend on the Alky injection for engine protection so I went with a mild pulley change and use the injection mostly for cooling.I have some good resources also for you if you wish.

espritGT3
23-10-2005, 04:12 PM
A good source for pulleys:

http://www.pulleyboys.com/

More boost does not necessarily = more power. In the M45's used on VW 2L 8v motors, one can drop from a 2.8 to 2.6" pulley. Beyond that power will suffer on pump fuel as the ECU retards the timing unless better fuel is used.

The Magnusen SC is very sensitive to exhaust back pressure. Larger diameter header pipes (primary and secondary) and a high flow cat will free up power from running a smaller pulley and allow the motor to rev more freely.

Rootzz06
26-10-2005, 01:50 AM
Since its ok to suggest vendors I will suggest a call to east coast supercharging in NJ they stock eaton pulleys usually Reichard racing.The pulleys have grooves to help prevent slip.What size do you have on there now?Dont forget that more boost will equal more power--you are on a water injection forum!!that is how to prevent detonation(duh)