PDA

View Full Version : New Install STI failsafe issue

STI-GRB
25-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Hello Richard,

I've just installed new HFS-3 on my sti. All the installation seems to be right. I have trouble setting up the failsafe. When the system start the injection, the "B" on the gauge is blinking. Does this means it tripped the failsafe? the "S" in solid on all the time, w injection and water level led is off. bargraph show 6 bars during wot. I followed the instructions from the manual and web adjusting the WH and WL and the "B" is still blinking.

I set the thres around 24% (due to the bad fuel here), gain at 12 o'clock. I am running stock injector(580cc) and dual jets 2x0.6 in my stock TMIC. Current gauge setting are SC at 1-1:30 position, WH at 11 position, and WL at fully ccw. I tried to adjust the WL with no luck with "B" blinking.

When I tried to set up the failsafe, I used 1x1.2mm jet because the 2x0.6 jets are located below the tmic, so its kinda hard to take off. I was hoping that the 1x1.2mm jet will have equal flow with the 2x0.6 jets. I set the SC so it shows 6 bars. When I test it on road, the "B" is always blinking during injection. I believe it should be stay solid on during injection? Was the way I did the set up using 1 jet, but in actual I use 2 jets affecting why the "B" is blinking during injection? How to set this correctly?

Any help with this issue....

thanks

Darwin

Richard L
25-07-2014, 05:49 PM
First of all, 2x 0.6 is not equal to 1x 1.2. (read page 8 of the user manual).

If the failsafe is setup correctly, the "B" light should go solid. Try CCW the WL until "B" light stops blinking.

Here is the how the system proceeds:

System is trigger -> "B" light comes on -> if the flow is less than the WL -> "B" goes off. When "WL" and flow is very close of being correct, the "B" ligh just oscillates.

CCW the "WL" and tell me if oit stops the "B" lioght from blinking.

Your problem was to assume 1x1.2mm = 2x0.6mm. So reducing the WL a tad is your answer.

STI-GRB
26-07-2014, 02:31 AM
Hello Richard,

thanks for the reply. Currently my WL is fully CCW and B still blinking. When I set the SC, I put it on full spray on the windscreen using the 1x1.2 jet and I adjusted it to show 6 bars on full spray. The SC now at around 1 o'clock position.
Since the actual I'm using 2x0.6 jets, should I adjusted the SC CW or CCW to have equal bargraph? Is this also the reason why the B still blinking even the WL is set fully CCW?

thanks

Richard L
26-07-2014, 09:45 AM
B led is associated with the THRES vs WL. The THRES trimmer is still at 24%?

Does the B led blink at WOT" or system "TST".

STI-GRB
26-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Thres is set at 24% and the B blinking. When I move the thres to 30%, it seems to be working fine. I can adjust the WL and WH just fine. It seems that when setting up the thres lower than 30% its kinda tough to set up the WL.
Any other way to adjust this if I still want to set my THRES at 24%?

thanks

Richard L
26-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Can you solder? I like you to extend the WL range

STI-GRB
26-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Yes, could you guide me where and what to solder...if possible with some pictures.

thanks

Richard L
27-07-2014, 05:30 PM
The standard flow sensor reads down to ~100cc/min. Below that you need to have a "special" flow sensor, only available on request at the time of purchase. Unfortunately I was not involved at the initial pre-sale communications.

Here is the picture that will help. If you see the "B" comes on as you are CW'ing the WL, you have reached the minimum. This is on the underside of the gauge circuit board

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum/WL2.gif

STI-GRB
30-07-2014, 09:06 AM
Hello Richard, Its working now. Thank you for the great support.

Thanks

Richard L
30-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the update. You need to open up the gauge. Once done there is no "low WL" limit so make sure you do not adjust the WL too low.

STI-GRB
01-08-2014, 08:54 AM
Hello Richard,

I am in the process of fine tuning the HFS-3. I would like to increase water/meth spray on higher RPM to prevent knock. In this case, I should turn the IDC Gain trimmer CW or CCW? What kind of impact will it cause from over spray? And will this affect on the setting of the SC, WL and WH on the dash gauge?

thanks

Richard L
01-08-2014, 12:15 PM
It will depend on your setup. Do you think your fuel injectors are maxed out already?
If they are not, we can CW the "gain" trimmer. You can hijack the gauge and monitor the IDC by jumper link the FDC. Let me know what you see.

The gain adjust will affect the WL, WH and SC.

STI-GRB
01-08-2014, 12:35 PM
My injectors are around 82% now at max. Do you mean moving the PRK jumper to FDC? Should this be done with the car running or just on pre cranking position?

thanks

Richard L
01-08-2014, 04:49 PM
If you already know the IDC max, you needn't to the FDC test.

You can now set the gain beyond 12'clock and give more injectant at higher load.

STI-GRB
01-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Thanks Richard

streetking
29-08-2014, 11:43 PM
I am having the same problem and came across this thread. Exactly how do I dissemble the gauge to solder? I am good with soldering. I just don't want to break the gauge. It's a v12 gauge if that matters.

Richard L
30-08-2014, 06:41 AM
Look back, post #8.

streetking
30-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Yeah the diagram is very clear on how to solder but I couldn't find any info on how to take the gauge apart and get to the circuit board.

The gauge is just too well made. It looks like a sealed unit!

Richard L
30-08-2014, 02:12 PM
The Bezel will unscrew. When you pout it back, don't over tighten it or it will seize forever.

streetking
30-08-2014, 02:30 PM
I see. I had that unscrewed but I just didn't know how that board comes out. It was pushed in pretty well

Anyway, I see that the resistor is already there soldered in. When you said bridging the resistor, do you mean basically taking that resistor out or bypassing it?

Richard L
30-08-2014, 04:37 PM
yes, quite easy. You can just solder a bare wire across the resistor.

streetking
30-08-2014, 06:41 PM
So I did the soldering and now the b light stays on all the time. I assume that's normal? Do my wl limit failsafe still work?

Richard L
31-08-2014, 10:19 PM
This means the WL lower limited is reached. This is why we put a lower limit with the resistor. I have warned you about this,

streetking
01-09-2014, 12:06 AM
I see. So now there's no low WL limit, meaning if I get a blockage the failsafe won't trigger?

Richard L
01-09-2014, 06:55 AM
This is correct. The moment the "B" led lights up, the WL is disabled.

Do your x1.5 pre-amp configuration, things will change for the good.