PDA

View Full Version : FAV flow issues on 2006 R53 Mini Cooper S

Hyper Blue JCW
07-11-2015, 04:32 AM
I've spent some time trawling around here and testing different things and cant figure this out.

I've installed a HFS-3 system in my 2006 Mini Cooper S, have tested and primed the system (I get flow from the 6mm hose when linking SYS), but I'm having trouble purging from the 4mm outlet once I attach the 6mm hose to the FAV.

I'm getting flow into the FAV when I rev the engine or jump SYS. I say this because when I remove the 6mm hose from the FAV water that has been under pressure sprays open releasing the hose), but no flow through the FAV seems to be happening. I have been doing these tests with the engine running and the hose taped to my windscreen.

After seeing another thread here I decided to try flip the FAV and run the flow in the incorrect direction - and doing that works. I get flow through the FAV, into the 4mm line and out a jet attached for testing.

This pic shows how my FAV has to be configured to get flow out of the 4mm line:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a335/Andrews_pics/Mini/20151107_132505.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Andrews_pics/media/Mini/20151107_132505.jpg.html)

I am not using a flow restrictor for any of my testing.

Are there any tests or checks I could do before I consider replacing the FAV?

Richard L
07-11-2015, 11:57 AM
You have reversed the 6mm and 4mm hoses and fittings. The system will not work well.

We will work out the issues after this.

Hyper Blue JCW
08-11-2015, 11:13 AM
I know. I only did that to illustrate the one way I could get anything to flow out of the 4mm line.

I've returned the 6mm and 4mm lines to the correct places, but cant get anything through the FAV this way.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a335/Andrews_pics/Mini/20151108_134842.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Andrews_pics/media/Mini/20151108_134842.jpg.html)

Richard L
08-11-2015, 01:37 PM
OK, let's look into this.

Remove the 4mm line from the FAV. Do a "SYS" test again, do you see and water coming out of the FAV? At the instant whereyou link the SYS, you should hear an audible click at the FAV.

Questions please:
1. Have you installed a restrictor?
2. Has the pump pressure been altered?
3. What is the serial number of the controller
4. Who did you purchase the system from?

Hyper Blue JCW
10-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Thank you.

I don't hear or feel a click at the FAV. I hear the controller click, but not the FAV. I did the test with the key in the pre-crank position.

Questions please:
1. Have you installed a restrictor?
For this test I had reinstalled the 0.7mm restrictor

2. Has the pump pressure been altered?
Not that I'm aware of.

3. What is the serial number of the controller

4. Who did you purchase the system from?
Howerton Engineering

In case it is a factor, my car is running an RMW tune to suit larger 450cc injectors I have installed along with a cam. Factory tune was for 380cc injectors.

Richard L
10-11-2015, 06:25 PM
It looks like there is some continuity to the FAV. Just to be certain, can you unplug the FAV and put 12V across the coil. Let me know if you hear a click.

If you do hear a click Remove the 4mm hose from the FAV. Turn on the pump with "SYS" and then apply 12V to the FAV, let me know if there is flow coming out.

Couldn't Jeff Howerton help you with this?

Hyper Blue JCW
11-11-2015, 11:43 AM
When I put 12mm across the disconnected FAV I hear a click.

When I do the second test, I get a good flow of water from the 4mm outlet.

Sorry, I hadn't put this question to Jeff, my apologies if I should have done that first.

Richard L
11-11-2015, 11:49 AM
good results!

now put the plug back. Leave the 4mm hose disconnected.
Do a "SYS" test again, make sure the "FSV" has a jumper on it.

Let me know.

Hyper Blue JCW
12-11-2015, 03:15 PM
Another successful test! Having both SYS and FAV jumped sees water squirting from the 4mm outlet on the FAV.

I'm so curious about what the missing link is here..

Richard L
12-11-2015, 04:12 PM
I don't see why you have a problem in the first place. System is working as it should.

Hyper Blue JCW
17-11-2015, 12:28 PM
Well, being honest I think I was making a really basic mistake when priming the FAV.. It's hooked up now and running exactly as it should.

I really appreciate your time and expertise. Thank you.