PDA

View Full Version : DIY water injection questions and ideas!

-=TWITCH=-
12-11-2003, 09:03 PM
I have a 1995 eagle talon TSI with upgraded turbo on stock injectors and stock intercooler. I know I know but the turbo is running at low boost until more fuel and a bigger intercooler. I have made a DIY waterinjection system you can find info on my kit here. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81892 I have not had a chance to really use the kit because I built the kit with a small 45psi pump what a buddy gave to me(that broke two days after install) I will be ordering a SHURFLO 100psi pump within the next week and will have the water injection up and running. My questions are does this setup look ok? Am I on the right track for a DIY water injection setup? as you can see I am using AQUAMIST nozzels and check vavles. just not using there pump and solenoid. What Can I do to improve my kit. what?s good what?s not?

Another question is there any way to make a DIY kit act like the AQUAMIST 2c kit? I would really like the kit to spray off the injector pulse width. Smaller amount of water at lower boost and RPM and more water at higher Rpm?s more boost. Is this possible, has anyone done this? I have a few more plans for my kit like a AQUAMIST flow meter to make sure that the system is working all the time.

Thanks for any help anyone might offer!

Chris

pbonsalb
13-11-2003, 03:23 PM
People have made their own basic kit and then used some Aquamist components. The better DIY kits use a good 100 psi pump. As you found out, its best to invest in a good pump from the start. Beware that different pumps tolerate different mixes of water and alcohol (or other fuels). Learn what your pump can handle if you are using it to flow something other than that for which it was intended. Contact the manufacturer.

Check the Aquamist parts list for the IID, which I think is the model with the high speed valve. I have not kept up on all the parts, since I got my system a couple of years ago. You may need only the high speed valve and the FIA2 injector driver to have flow follow that of the injectors, with a boost onset threshold. You then use nozzle size to alter max flow, so you might still need to verify your nozzle flow and you might need to obtain additional nozzles. More experimentation is required when you DIY. Once you go to the high speed valve, you might as well just use Aquamist nozzles since you will be using that size tube from the valve.

On www.turboford.org , there may be some info in the archives or elsewhere on making your own water injection. I know at least one person there built a nice system using the Aquamist high speed valve.

Philip Bradley

Forum Admin
13-11-2003, 06:06 PM
To make a variable flow system you basically need a solenoid that has a good reaction time and a high cycle frequency. Or alternatively a return line system that uses a multiplied rising rate regulator.

The aquamist high speed valve is a high frequency solenoid and operates like a fuel injector which is why some have been able to either run it parallel off an existing fuel injector's signal (make sure you isolate the signal properly and that the driver can support the additional current).

The fia2 will reference the fuel injector signal and then through a seperate circuit drive the hsv. This assures isolation and prevents too much current draw. The fia2 also includes diagnostics for the system though I am not sure how to implement them on the shurflo pump.

Normally the 2c or 2d would also involve a pressure switch manifold compared to the 1s however since you are using the shurflo pump the pressure is controlled via its own pressure switch and the manifold would not be necessary.

-=TWITCH=-
13-11-2003, 07:37 PM
Wow some great info. I just want to say that I use AQUAMIST jets already. I have a 1/4th water feed line that goes from my pump to my solenoid and then from the solenoid I use AQUAMIST line a jets. The solenoid I have is awesome it has a pretty big orifice size allowing water to flow very well. It also has a very fast response time. So now that I am using AQUAMIST lines and jets what do I need to make my kits a 2c? I know I will need the high speed valve. One more quick question my injectors are low impedance. And I was under the impression that the HIGH speed valve will only get a signal from HIGH impedance injectors? Is this correct? I also herd that there is a new product that will amplify my injector signal allowing the HSV to read my injector pulse has anyone else herd this? Please let me know and thanks a lot for all the great information! has anyone made a DIY kit like a 2c kit?

Chris

Forum Admin
13-11-2003, 08:07 PM
The fia2 is the amplifier you need to run the hsv off your injector signals. It will read your peak and hold type and then run the hsv.

So with the fia2 and a hsv you should be in good shape to set your system up for a variable flow rate based on fuel flow.

-=TWITCH=-
14-11-2003, 01:42 AM
Are those part made to only work with the aquamist pump? How would I make them work with my setup?

Forum Admin
14-11-2003, 05:35 AM
I would need to think about it some. I will PM you when I come up with something it will be before Monday.

-=TWITCH=-
14-11-2003, 05:57 AM
Thanks a lot for all your help!

Chris

Forum Admin
16-11-2003, 01:34 AM
The fia2 and hsv can be made to work with your system in a manner similar to the 2d. There would be two main differences the fia2 checks for blocked jets and cut hoses would not function and your boost switch logic would need to be changed through a relay but it is possible to integrate with your components.

Brad
17-11-2003, 04:07 PM
All of the information you have receive above is correct. The only issue in your design is the size of you accumulator. It is to small it will cause you pump to cycle to quickly and distroy the armature of the pump. What materieal is your pump diaphram made of there are several choses?

-=TWITCH=-
17-11-2003, 07:42 PM
I have not ordered a new pump yet my old Shurflo pump was a diaphram pump(if that helps) what shurflo pump should I order? part#?

Thanks

Chris

Brad
17-11-2003, 11:19 PM
On my aplications the santoprene diaphram hold up the best. The 8000-543-238 or the 8000-813-239. Normally the 239 is what we use as its aplication is for large engine. A 8000-343-236 is a 60psi pump but it can be adjusted up to about 100psi. It uses a smaller motor and has all Viton valves and diaphram. The 239 is a 150psi pump which we turn down to about 100 to 120 depending on use.
One thing you must alway remember about Shurflo pumps, there is about a 15psi drop before pump comes back on. So it the pressure is set at 100 it has to drop to 85 before it comes on. This is not normally a problem but you need to be aware.
As a note stay with methonal as your alcohal and do not use any mineral based lube.

-=TWITCH=-
18-11-2003, 04:26 AM
Wow thanks a lot for the great information. this helps me make my decesion a lot easier. One more quick side not I noticed you said I need a Accumulator will this shurflo accumulator work?
http://www.sprayingequipmentsupply.com/images/accumulator-tank.gif

Accumulator Tank
24 oz. capacity, pre-pressurized to 20 PSI, 100 PSI (6.9 bar) maximum operating pressure, Butyl bladder, mounting brackets, NSF approved, 1/2" NPT Female ports.

$36.00

Thanks

Chris[/img]

Brad
18-11-2003, 05:25 AM
Yes it more than enough, the one on Micheal's car would be large enough if you did not want something that large.

-=TWITCH=-
18-11-2003, 05:42 AM
Yes it more than enough, the one on Micheal's car would be large enough if you did not want something that large.

Cool thanks