PDA

View Full Version : Fooling my ECU chip with WI

TJ
23-10-2004, 06:42 PM
I have an after market chip On my 02 GTI 1.8T with three programs ? Stock, 93 Octane and 100 octane program. The 93 octane program raises the boost level and advances the timing from the stock level. The 100 octane program advances the timing to a more aggressive level but 100 octane fuel must be used other wise there is a risk of losing the engine. I understand that water injection makes it safe to take your boost and timing to a higher level therefore and in my case switching to the 100 octane program with 93-95 octane fuel + WI can more or less give the same performance as running 100 octane fuel?

TJ

hotrod
24-10-2004, 12:02 AM
The is no way to know with absolute certainty without actually testing it, but the answer would be "probably". There is always the slight chance that there is some quirk in the setup of the 100 octane map that could bite you so, I would suggest you go slowly.

If I was in your shoes I'd set up the WI on the 93 map and get everything sorted out so you know its working properly.

Put some 100 octane in the tank so your actual fuel blend is say 95 - 96 octane and then run the 100 octane map with the WI, while watching very closely for knock. (It would be best to have a knock detector like a knock link that could give you real time information) You could also take the time to check your spark plugs for signs of detonation. Once your statisfied your safe with the mid 90's octane blend then gradually dial back the amount of 100 octane your running. That would protect you if your turn on point for the WI was a little off or something like that.

Just avoid the urge to turn on the WI and flog the daylights out of the engine until you have some time invested in carefully checking things out.

I would be pretty confident that it would work, but would hate to give an unqualified -- " sure no problem" answer and then have you break the engine due to some unforseen issue.

Larry

TJ
27-10-2004, 07:59 AM
Thank you Larry for replaying. I will start experimenting as soon as I return home. My WI system was installed last month and I am pretty confidant that it is working as it should. As for the race fuel, it is going to be real tuff finding it in Jordan so I may have to go along with the idea of home brewing.

TJ