PDA

View Full Version : freezing

21v6turbo
20-11-2004, 02:36 PM
can you tell me what i can put in the water to stop it freezing rather than methanol which is not easily available!
any help would be much appreciated !
regards steve.

hotrod
20-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Any of the alcohols would work. A lot of folks use the wind shield washer fluid. Most of the "blue juice" type solutions contain a high concentration of methanol.

A few people report problems with nozzles clogging up with the detergent in the washer fluid, but a lot of folks use it with no problems.

Isopropyl alcohol, (like you get at the drug store) will also work.

If you want to buy alcohol at the local building supply places, you can usually buy both methanol or denatured ethanol in gallon cans. Here in the U.S. places like Home Depot charge about $9 a gallon -- you'll find it in the paint section.

If you look through the phone book for places that sell racing parts and racing fuel, they probably can sell you methanol at about $2 a gallon. Its the same alcohol used in drag racing, and some circle track racing series.

Larry

1QuickBunny
30-11-2004, 07:22 PM
I have run a system 2s on my Fiat Spyder for almost 5 years. In Winter I have had to run blue washer fluid. I was running this setup for prevention of detonation on a really high compresion setup. Always had trouble with this stuff clogging up nozzles but found a REALY good way to clean them. Use a product called CLR. Calcium Lime Rust remover... soak the diassasembled nozzle in a 50/50 mix with hot water. Also a thought, if this stuff were to be run through the system every few weeks or oil change, it might help. I just started with this recently after dissasembling the whole setup and finding HORRIBLE buildups. I can't yet say it is safe to do though.... oh, don't run this stuff into your motor AND flush the stuff out REALY good!

Anyone else noticed that washer fluid fries O2 sensors? Have to replace mine every spring.