PDA

View Full Version : Evo 8 Trunk Mount Pump

EvoTio
27-11-2004, 12:47 AM
I am finally getting around to installing my Aquamist set up in my Evo 8. I would like to install the Aquamist pump in my trunk as my engine comparment is a bit crowded. Do you advise that I install my accumulator in the back with the pump or somewhere in the engine compartment close to the water jet? Thanks.

hotrod
27-11-2004, 02:50 AM
I have a home built system with the shurflo pump in the trunk and my accumulator near the nozzle under the hood. It seems to work fine for me. I will probably need to relocate the accumulator to the trunk area for space reasons when I change over to a FMIC as the piping will go right through the are where the accumulator now sits.

I doubt it will make much difference where you locate it, space is a big issue for a lot of us, and you pretty much have to do what you can make fit.

Larry

EvoTio
27-11-2004, 03:31 AM
Thanks for the reply hotrod. I have a spot in the engine bay to mount the accumulator, so the pump will be fine in the trunk. I do have one more question. Does the pump have to be well ventillated to function properly? I have a perfect spot to mount the pump in the spare tire well. It will be covered by the trunk mat, so there is not much air circulating in there. There is a large drain hole that I could pop open to allow some air in. I have installed stereo amplifiers in another car in a similiar area and never had over heating or shut down problems.

hotrod
27-11-2004, 04:50 AM
That would probably better answered by Richard L.

On the shurflo, the pump will get pretty hot if its run continuously. You might want to look on the box, or spec sheet and see what the design temp limits might be for the pump. I am always uncomfortable covering up an electrical component --- temps can get very high even at low power levels if no air circulation is possible.

The other option would be to temp mount it there, and put a cheap indoor out door thermometer on the pump and run a test. As Burt Rutan says a quick and dirty test can give you a lot more useful info than all the expert opinions in the world.

Larry

1QuickBunny
03-12-2004, 05:09 AM
Mine has been mounted in the tire well of my fiat spyder. Covered up with the floor and carpet. Never had an issue, but it is also a pretty big space there. Also mounted it directly to the metal floor and used the car as a heatsink. NEVER felt one of the aquamist pumps get even warm, except when having issues getting them primed.

I had some weird issues with accumalators though. Had one mounted in the trunk and it would actually make the MF2 think there was a leak and set the light... Starting the system up was a real pain until I switched over to copper lines to the front of the car, then the issues went away. And also this was an accumalator made from a water pipe surge preventer before aquamist made these avalible.

EvoTio
03-12-2004, 05:27 AM
Mine has been mounted in the tire well of my fiat spyder. Covered up with the floor and carpet. Never had an issue, but it is also a pretty big space there. Also mounted it directly to the metal floor and used the car as a heatsink. NEVER felt one of the aquamist pumps get even warm, except when having issues getting them primed.

I had some weird issues with accumalators though. Had one mounted in the trunk and it would actually make the MF2 think there was a leak and set the light... Starting the system up was a real pain until I switched over to copper lines to the front of the car, then the issues went away. And also this was an accumalator made from a water pipe surge preventer before aquamist made these avalible.

Thanks for your input. The tire well in my Evo is pretty roomy and I think I will end up installing the pump there. I am going to intall the accumulator somewhere in the front of the car closer to the water jet. I still have to decide if I will use the winshield washer tank located in the back or use a 2 gallon gasoline jug as my water/alcohol tank.

1QuickBunny
03-12-2004, 05:44 PM
Does your evo's raer washer tank have a low level indicator light? If not I would use or make a larger tank. It is still a realy good idea to put a level sensor on any tank buried in the trunk. You can make a tank to fit perfectly in the tire well by fitting a big peice of styrofoam. Carve the styro block into shape and then cover it with fiberglass. We used woven for the first layer or two then chopped for extra strength. If you think you might go that route let me know and I can share a few more tips

nothere
11-12-2004, 06:50 AM
if your evo is not modified under the air filter, there is room under there for the whole system. that puts it within inches of the post intercooler pipe, has plenty of fresh air, nearly dry (if you still have the undertray mounted). can't see the setup from looking at the engine.

troubles are, with the undertray on it is hard to get to.

let me know if you want more info

EvoTio
11-12-2004, 07:29 AM
if your evo is not modified under the air filter, there is room under there for the whole system. that puts it within inches of the post intercooler pipe, has plenty of fresh air, nearly dry (if you still have the undertray mounted). can't see the setup from looking at the engine.

troubles are, with the undertray on it is hard to get to.

let me know if you want more info

Hey nothere, how's it going? I've PM'd you a couple of times on EvolutionM.net about your water injection set up. Thanks for the advise. I ended up installing my electronic boost controller solenoid in that area you are speaking about. I want to be able to access the pump and all the accessories easily in case I need to troubleshoot any problems. I'll be installing some more pieces tomorrow. I hopefully will get this done soon. I'll take some pictures and post them when I'm done.