PDA

View Full Version : OEM Intercooler water spray systems, and WI systems

hotrod
07-12-2004, 03:50 AM
I am trying to compile a list of OEM manufactures that have intercooler water spray systems from the factory or as a factory aftermarket option.

And a list of OEM WI systems.

Looking for make year and model info.

Here in the U.S. the only two intercooler water spray systems I am aware of are the new EVO and STi, but I suspect other countries/markets have also seen OEM applications.

On OEM WI systems, we have the

1962-63 Olds F-85

I believe some Volvo or Saab vehicles but need that confirmed, the only info I have on them includes:

SAAB on the 99 & 900 turbos in the late 70's early 80's

1983 Volvo 242 Group-A Turbo but did this ever make it to a production street sedan.

The European-market Ford Sierra Cosworth ?

1995 JDM Subaru STi Type RA -- intercooler water spray
1997-98 JDM Subaru STi Type R, & 98 22B, -- intercooler water spray

1993 - to date EVO II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, JDM Intercooler water spray ?
2004 EVO Lancer Evolution USDM Intercooler water spray

Any other candidates ?

Larry

Richard L
25-12-2004, 12:11 PM
I am trying to compile a list of OEM manufactures that have intercooler water spray systems from the factory or as a factory aftermarket option.

And a list of OEM WI systems.

Looking for make year and model info.

Here in the U.S. the only two intercooler water spray systems I am aware of are the new EVO and STi, but I suspect other countries/markets have also seen OEM applications.

On OEM WI systems, we have the

1962-63 Olds F-85

I believe some Volvo or Saab vehicles but need that confirmed, the only info I have on them includes:

SAAB on the 99 & 900 turbos in the late 70's early 80's

1983 Volvo 242 Group-A Turbo but did this ever make it to a production street sedan.

The European-market Ford Sierra Cosworth ?

1995 JDM Subaru STi Type RA -- intercooler water spray
1997-98 JDM Subaru STi Type R, & 98 22B, -- intercooler water spray

1993 - to date EVO II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, JDM Intercooler water spray ?
2004 EVO Lancer Evolution USDM Intercooler water spray

Any other candidates ?

Larry

Better late than never. Xmas is a good time to catching up some unanswered threads.

Mopar, aftermarket devision of Chrysler has this option for the neon SRT-4
http://www.mopar.com/srt_stage_2.htm

This a power add-on, combined with a host of other associated parts.

Richard L
25-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Larry, Better late than Never.

Xmas is a good time for catching up old posts.

Mopar, the aftermarket division of Chrysler offer this as a power upgrade.
http://www.mopar.com/images/img_turbo_toys2.jpg

It has a whole host of other bits to make it quite an interesting investment.

More details below
http://www.mopar.com/srt_stage_2.htm

glhs837
25-12-2004, 06:05 PM
"Fill the tank with 100 (R+M)/2 octane unleaded fuel, press the red switch located on the Turbo Toys bezel, and discover instant torque and power gains. The PCM will increase spark advance and adjust fueling to take full advantage of the 100 octane unleaded fuel. The red indicator lamp will illuminate when High Octane Mode is active."

I note the "adjust fueling" statement. This is what I'm basing my idea of using the 2D on. Your thoughts?

Richard L
26-12-2004, 02:42 PM
"Fill the tank with 100 (R+M)/2 octane unleaded fuel, press the red switch located on the Turbo Toys bezel, and discover instant torque and power gains. The PCM will increase spark advance and adjust fueling to take full advantage of the 100 octane unleaded fuel. The red indicator lamp will illuminate when High Octane Mode is active."

I note the "adjust fueling" statement. This is what I'm basing my idea of using the 2D on. Your thoughts?

Your previous suggestion of running water instead of 100 octane fuel is a real possibility. Not sure if the controller will inject extra fuel (most probably) when the red button is pressed, if that is the case, just add water will give you that extra torque power gain - I know the turbo toy button also increase boost. Would like to have some feedback.

I have spoken many times with a Chrysler developement engine during the project but short of persuade him to try internal water injection. I tried again recently but unforntunately he has left the company.

WI injection is a very new to young engineers (not the one I spoke to), they were very reluctant to try. WI is more complex than most people would imagine, for a mainline car manufacturer to adopt this idea, it is hard work. Water dissolves more materials than gasoline or oil.

A simple spray in front of the intercooler has a similar "perceived" effect on the un-informed, as far as marketing is concerned, extrenal spray is a prelude to intenal water injection - sooner than you expect due to enviromental issues, companies are pressurised to innovate to cut carbon emission, dumping fuel will no longer be viable to make more power.

glhs837
27-12-2004, 01:48 AM
Rather than clog up hotrods thread, Richard, I'll make a standalone about this topic. Seeing as this is kinda unique.