PDA

View Full Version : SRT-4 High Octane Mode discussion.

glhs837
27-12-2004, 02:06 AM
This thread will be a discussion of using water injection to stand in for the "+100" octane required by Mopar Performances Stage 2 and 3R Turbo upgrade kits with Turob Toys for the SRT-4.

The kits have a switch panel that includes a HOM button. This button, as described, advance spark timing and adjust fuel to take advantage of higher octane fuel. With Stage 2, this feature is good for a +20whp power increase.

While this kind of "tuning for race gas" is common in the aftermarket, the main benefit here is that this mode comes with the full suite of protections afforded by using the stock computer system.

Meaning timing pulls and added fuel for cooling if intake temps rise, and also if kcock is detected. One of the main boogeymen of the anti-injection crowd is that if the system fails, your car can suffer. With the stock system on watch, this isn't an issue. Ow, more later, my fingers hurt :D

Richard L
27-12-2004, 10:38 AM
I have just copied the reply made on anther thread to continue on the discussion here.

"Fill the tank with 100 (R+M)/2 octane unleaded fuel, press the red switch located on the Turbo Toys bezel, and discover instant torque and power gains. The PCM will increase spark advance and adjust fueling to take full advantage of the 100 octane unleaded fuel. The red indicator lamp will illuminate when High Octane Mode is active."

I note the "adjust fueling" statement. This is what I'm basing my idea of using the 2D on. Your thoughts?

Your previous suggestion of running water instead of 100 octane fuel is a real possibility. Not sure if the controller will inject extra fuel (most probably) when the red button is pressed, if that is the case, just add water will give you that extra torque power gain - I know the turbo toy button also increase boost. Would like to have some feedback.

I have spoken many times with a Chrysler developement engine during the project but short of persuade him to try internal water injection. I tried again recently but unforntunately he has left the company.

WI injection is a very new to young engineers (not the one I spoke to), they were very reluctant to try. WI is more complex than most people would imagine, for a mainline car manufacturer to adopt this idea, it is hard work. Water dissolves more materials than gasoline or oil.

A simple spray in front of the intercooler has a similar "perceived" effect on the un-informed, as far as marketing is concerned, extrenal spray is a prelude to intenal water injection - sooner than you expect due to enviromental issues, companies are pressurised to innovate to cut carbon emission, dumping fuel will no longer be viable to make more power.

Richard L
27-12-2004, 11:06 AM
This thread will be a discussion of using water injection to stand in for the "+100" octane required by Mopar Performances Stage 2 and 3R Turbo upgrade kits with Turob Toys for the SRT-4.

The kits have a switch panel that includes a HOM button. This button, as described, advance spark timing and adjust fuel to take advantage of higher octane fuel. With Stage 2, this feature is good for a +20whp power increase.

While this kind of "tuning for race gas" is common in the aftermarket, the main benefit here is that this mode comes with the full suite of protections afforded by using the stock computer system.

Meaning timing pulls and added fuel for cooling if intake temps rise, and also if kcock is detected. One of the main boogeymen of the anti-injection crowd is that if the system fails, your car can suffer. With the stock system on watch, this isn't an issue. Ow, more later, my fingers hurt :D

It is interesting to know that SRT has this HOM option from factory that will allow owners to increase power without seeking further third party bolt-ons expensive dyno hours.

Aftermarket tuning is time comsuming becuase vital management control is not easily available form the manufacturers. It is a really value pack from Chrysler, not that the 20 horses is $1500 worth but the possibilities of futher possibilities for more power increase. The best thing that comes with the package is the safety aspect - the management can detect knock and prevent any possibility of dmage to the engine.

In your quest for internal WI using the HOM button, I agree the 2d is a very simple replacement for race gas. There is also the possibility of tuning up the boost further to use up the excess fuel intended for cooling and now for additional power.

If you are going to that direction, please post the results.

glhs837
27-12-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm trying to pin down the HOM buttons exact effect on the fuel system now. I think that the reason manufacturers are reluctant to implement W/I is that they are scared of "Joe Sixpack" as the average consumer is sometimes referrred to.

As shown by early Dodge turbo efforts in the 1980s, most folks refuse to take needed steps to ensure longevity. So turbos got a bad name becuase they (owners) blew off oil changes, and ran the cars hard and shut down with no cooldown.

So any system that requires the owner to take action beyond "install fuel nozzle, squeeze handle" is looked upon as a source of potential liability. A friend of mine knows some folks :wink: , so I asked him to quiz them about W/I.

Their response was that it was just something else to break. I think this is why we got a sprayer instead of injection.

I've gotten the green light to spend whatever cash I get from the sale of components replaced by Stage 3R on water injection. I'm hoping to rasie enough for the 2D, we'll see.

Richard L
27-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Reluctance is the exact word to describe the Chrysler Camp, it is not that technology that frightened them, it is the Mr "joe Sixpack" that prevent them carry the Internal WI forward.

What is the general attitude on the SRT-4 forum? has there been many up-take on the 3R upgrade?

On paper, the HOM is ideal stepping board for internal WI. If Chrysler changes their mind on the Internal WI, our sales on thr water jets will be dropped by 75%!

Meanwhile, if you can find as much information of the HOM, it will help planning your internal water injection.