PDA

View Full Version : questions before going W/I

GTTechnics
26-04-2005, 09:07 AM
I am considering buying the 2d system so that I can raise my boost on my supercharged VW vr6 without plumbing an intercooler in. I have a few questions before I do. 1) would an adjustable fuel pressure regulator likely allow me enough room to tune for WI (a preburned chip for 15psi of boost is all that available and is likely to be rich in this instance) 2) if I tune the car to run smoothly on pure water (freezing isn't an issue here) will a modern FI car with timing control/knock sensor likely adjust itself to take advantage of a methanol mix? (ideally I would like to run water but be able to throw methanol in for special occasions without having to spend a long time tuning). 3) on the 2d there is a safety mechanism that opens the wastegate in a turbo application when the water is out or clogged...is there a way to use this function on a supercharger? 4)in a WI forced induction car, what would be the order of importance for the following gauges= a wideband a/f gauge, a boost gauge, a pyromter/egt gauge, an air intake temperature gauge, a water pressure gauge (the latter two gauges I am unfamiliar with but seem like they would have more importance on a WI car) 5) what kind of a/f ratios would I be shooting for when tuning and would running mixtures further complicate tuning?

Its a lot of questions I know, I've been saving them all up for this post I guess :oops:

Roverdose
26-04-2005, 01:44 PM
3) you could find a suitably sized solenoid valve that would create an air leak after the charger to reduce the pressure in the manifold down to your safe level.
not sure id recommend driving like that for extended periods, but thats the only way i can see it working.

Drew

max_torque
27-04-2005, 10:23 AM
To limit a superchargers boost you need a pre-charger throttle or restrictor, you could use a small electronic throttle body that is powered fully open by the "safe" signal from the water injection system, but when you have insufficient water flow it would be non powered, and the std return spring would close it. You would simple need to open the minimum throttle stop to hold the plate open sufficiently to provide some airflow, but not enough to build to "dangerous" levels of boost. Most current engine will have a Bosch or Siemems DC motor throttle body that would be suitable for this.