PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on material compatibility with methanol

l2r99gst
01-06-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm currently getting my kit together piece by piece, but along the way I have been doing as much research as I can on what is compatible with methanol and what isn't.

For example, for the Shurflo pump, I went with the EPDM/Santoprene, instead of the Viton.

But, now my question is about the fitting to the pump. It looks like certains brasses, bronzes, and SS's are compatible with methanol. But what are you guys using.

Also, for the hoses, it looks like the best are PTFEs (Teflon) and PVDF (Kynar), along with polyehthylene.

What materials are you guys using? I am planning on a 50/50 mix.

Thanks,
Eric

hotrod
03-06-2005, 03:10 AM
I did a bit of over kill on my hoses, I'm running through -3 aeroquip teflon lined hose same stuff used in brake lines.

My first setup I used hardware store brass fittings, and some plated steel -3 fittings and some anodized aluminum -3 fittings. The plated steel only lasted a few months before it started rusting. The anodize aluminum has never given me a problem of any kind. I'm switching the brass spray jets I have to the nickle plated style even though the brass never gave an problems but since they are available Im going to the nickle plated brass.

Larry