PDA

View Full Version : Survey! What % do you inject and for what purpose?

dsmtuned
01-07-2005, 01:19 PM
I thought it would be helpful if we each listed a few stats about our WI setups and uses for WI;

1) What percentage of fuel is your total injected water/alky?

2) What is your goal in using WI, ie- primarily for cooling intake air, for knock reduction, for reducing cylinder temps/EGTs, a combination of these, etc.?

3) Probably we should list the application too, ie- brief discription of your car?

I'll start.

1) I inject 50/50 distilled-water/methanol at 20% of my total fuel at WOT. I have a 2 stage homebuilt WI system triggered at 8psi and 16psi.

2) I use WI primarily for knock reduction because of the stock IC. Soon I will install my large FMIC and experiment with pre-compressor injection.

3) I run 21psi of boost with a puny stock intercooler on my 2.0l DSM at an altitude of at least 5280ft above sea level.

-Craig

Hemi T04
07-07-2005, 02:05 AM
At the moment i'm injecting 80% ethanol 20%water into the compressor of turbo at 14 gph. not sure what percentage of fuel that is. I will shortly experiment with a 40%mthanol 40%ethanol 20 % water mix. then 80% methanol 20%water and finally 100% methanol.

I want to see which one gives me the coldest intake/exhaust temps and the most power without pinging. The reason im injecting before the tubo is that i have heard humidifed air of 40 micon paritcles or less can increase compressor efficieny without damaging it?

Since i dont use an intercooler cooling is of greatest importance to me. with my current 80% ethanol 20%water into the compressor mix my intakes temps at 15 psi boost are 90celcius and exhaust is 1470celcius at 130 kmh just after a 0-100kmh run.

rarson
08-07-2005, 01:38 AM
I am currently not injecting anything, in fact, I don't even have my DSM shipped out here in Guam yet. But I plan to implement a system, both for power increase and to combat the hot climate and low octane (91) pump gas.

I plan to inject a water/methanol mixture (probably 50/50) before the turbo, possibly removing the intercooler in the process. Then, pre-throttle body (or possibly direct port injection) also injecting a water/methanol/nitromethane mix. The idea here is to inject nitro for a power increase, methanol for octane increase/reduction of detonation (for the nitro), and water both for additional cooling and keeping the mixture from separating.

My limiting factor will be the amount of water I will be able to inject. Relative humidity is often above 90% here, so I am afraid that I might reach saturation of the air quite quickly. I am hoping I can inject the amount I want, but I will have to do some testing I suppose, as I have been unable to find much info yet on humid climates.

Also, I'm very interested in the quasi-isothermal properties of pre-turbo injection and would like to experiment and take advantage of that.

keithmac
28-07-2005, 12:23 AM
I`m injecting demineralised water, purely for charge cooling/ knock control.

System uses a boot mounted ERL race pump with 0.8mm jet, fired off my Megasquirt ecu.

Car is a cammed 1.8l 16v G60 (supercharged) mk2 Golf, currently running 1 bar boost.

I have the water coming on at 2000 rpm, 120 kpa, 20c inlet temp. Does the job of knock control very nicely, just have to logf some runs to check the charge temps..

mrex180
22-08-2005, 11:35 PM
1. I'm injecting 75% water to 25% Isopropyl Alcohol...

2.For detonation control and to assist my Standard intercooler which is top mounted in the engine bay and suffers alot of heat soak..

3.2000 Classic Shape WRX running a TD05-20G