PDA

View Full Version : WI on a 1.8T GTI

20VT
10-02-2004, 12:28 PM
I have fitted a 1s system to my GTI with a 1.8T engine with 0.6mm jet and stock boost settings on the switch.

Any tips on tuning it ?

pan_matt
11-02-2004, 09:28 AM
20VT, are u the same 20VT on the Audi Forum ZA?

Best is to go through the posts on the forum, lots of info on how WI influences your A/F ratio etc. and what mixes you can run.

If I can give you any advice on tuning a vehicle with WI it would be to set up two different ignition and fueling maps for the car. If you are running a standard Bosch engine management then it won't be possible with the standard unit and not with chip tuning. You will have to fit a wire in management system that allows you to run two maps (Unichip does this effectively) or a complete engine management system (Motec, Microtech, EFI srl, Pectel etc.).

The Aquamist 1 s system is not the most intellegent system, but it will do the job. Does your system have any of the following components? pressure accumulator, FIA2 module and High speed valve HVC.

The above components will allow you to tune the WI system more effectively, without these components it is more a case of switching the system on and off with very little control over how the water injection is done.

I would suggest that you fit a water pressure accumulator because it will extend the life of your ERL pump since it will not working constantly to maintain pressure.

The FIA2 module allows you to match the water injection to the fuel injection with the help of the HVC.

Are u going to run pure water or a mixture of water/ metahnol?

Depending on the above u will have to match (at the correct ratio) your WI nozzle flow rate to your fuel injector flow rate.

20VT
11-02-2004, 10:04 AM
Thats me :)

Have been logging lots of data using VAGCOM and using the info on the forums to play around and have been making progress.

I have a custom chip setup on my car so I can ask my tuner for a different set of maps so let me know what you think I should ask him to do.

No its the basic 1s system - am thinking of getting the HSV and accumulator and using a standalone controller lia the FIA2 to tune the WI more effectively but first want to see what gains are possible with the basics.

Thanx for the inputs

pan_matt
11-02-2004, 10:13 AM
Are u using a chiplogic setup?

How would the ECU switch between the two different maps?

How many maps can you run on the chip?

I'll help as far as I can, but I must admit that I am not a huge fan of aftermarket chips etc..

20VT
11-02-2004, 01:01 PM
No

Simliar technology as Revo or APR basically a manual switch

up to 4

Well this isn't your normal chip ...

Thanx for the help

BTW are you in za ?

pan_matt
11-02-2004, 01:48 PM
Yep, I am in ZA.

Sounds good, give me a call at 0824937126

20VT
13-02-2004, 12:01 PM
Fitted the 0.7mm jet and not quite the results I expected.

Timing is still retarding but I have a suspicion that one of the pipes are faulty - going to have it checked out today.