waterinjection.info

waterinjection.info (http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum2/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Injection Mixtures (http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum2/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Different mixes for the water injection and the down sides (http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum2/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19)

blkevo8 18-10-2003 06:38 PM

Different mixes for the water injection and the down sides

I would like to know being new to WI, what are all the possibilities for WI mixtures. I have a Aquamist 2D on the way I am placing a 3.5gl. aluminum fuel tank in my trunk and my pump below for priming with the battery in the trunk as well. I have heard about washer fluid due to its lubrication effect, heard using a methynal mix but will it dry out the line and cause failure?? heard about peroxide???? no idea, I run in the gas tank Xylene and one of my reasons to moving to WI is to get away from having to constantly mix it plus its $5.80 a gl. now are folks putting tuelene or Xylene in the WI??? I mix some Magic mystery oil in with my mixtures of Xylene to keep pumps and lines lubed. Is there anything similar for WI??? What about Sunoco's Alki methyl fuel it has some kind of detergent in it. I would love to see a big discussion on this especially with the folks that have it going already. Hope I am in the right topic otherwise please move this thread to the right spot.

AKWRX 19-10-2003 12:16 AM

Re: Different mixes for the water injection and the down sid

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkevo8
I mix some Magic mystery oil in with my mixtures of Xylene to keep pumps and lines lubed. Is there anything similar for WI??? What about Sunoco's Alki methyl fuel it has some kind of detergent in it. I would love to see a big discussion on this especially with the folks that have it going already.

Some additional lube for injection pumps is highly desireable. This helps break in, and also preserve the long term service life of the seals on the most commonly used positive displacement gerotro type pumps (same as those used as fuel pumps). The lube must be water soluble. Also. the lube should burn completly without any ash deposits, much like 2 cycle oil. Top cylinder lubes such as Marvel Mystery Oil simply don't cut the mustard. They are not water soluble and will separate out (stratify) in the tank. Klotz upper cylinder fuel lube sold as Uplon Fuel Lube Kl-107 (www.klotzlube.com) will do the job, even with high percentage alcohol mixes. There may be other brands that will also work, but I am unaware of them.

Forum Admin 19-10-2003 02:20 AM

Depending on the components different set ups have different mixture limits.

On aquamist you are limited to 50% methanol (methyl alcohol). Ethanol and isopropyl alcohol limits are too low to even consider using them. The seals will swell if you use the wrong ingredients or too much of an ingredient.

Many different setups run very well on 50/50 methanol/water. Heet in the yellow (not the red) bottles is a good source of methanol in the US.

Some use winterized windshield fluid in different kits - though I am aware of no adverse effects from the small amount of detergent - I have seen no pump/kit manufacturer explicitly recommend it.

blkevo8 21-10-2003 04:31 PM

Thanks for the info can't wait to get the system in place.

blkevo8 21-10-2003 04:38 PM

hey turbo ice I see that HEET in the yellow bottle comes in 12fl oz. what would be the mix on a 3 1/2 gal. tank, would this be all that you would add I am trying to go low maintenance on adding solvents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by turboICE

Many different setups run very well on 50/50 methanol/water. Heet in the yellow (not the red) bottles is a good source of methanol in the US.

Forum Admin 21-10-2003 06:22 PM

128 oz. to a gallon.

448 oz. in your tank.

12/448 ~ 2.68% Methanol to 97.32% water.

Heet is not an efficient way to make a mix, it is just the only source I know that is highly concentrated in methanol and offered as an example. If someone has another readily accessible way to get methanol (in the US, I know ethanol and methanol is easier to get in other regions) that would be helpful.

Brad 17-11-2003 04:15 PM

blkevo8, Your choose of tank I question. Methonal is very corrosive to aluminum a plastic tank would be best. The aluminum oxidation will clog the filter and cause failure of the pump.

blkevo8 25-11-2003 07:06 PM

arrg really aluminum tank with a 50/50 mix is a bad idea??? even if I mix some Klotz with the methanol??

JScoob 26-11-2003 10:11 AM

I was looking at an old post on nabisco quoting Richard Lamb at ERL that isopropyl alcohol with the aquamist pump is ok for up to 25% alcohol to water. Is this true?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ol#post3906506

Forum Admin 26-11-2003 02:12 PM

That is indeed the information provided. I am not sure what else is mixed in with your average isopropyl from a store though. Another thing that has been found by people who have used both of them seperately but in the same quantities on more tolerant systems is that methanol works better. I can not think of anyone who actually use isopropyl regularly.