waterinjection.info

waterinjection.info (http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum2/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Avoiding Disaster (http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum2/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   methanol handling and care. reply needed (http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum2/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1965)

shams1924 04-04-2011 04:29 AM

methanol handling and care. reply needed
 
hi. i thought this would be a good question and safety advice for people out there.

im not sure, so if someone could please reply.

1.what pre cautions should you take when handling methanol?
2. what are the dangers of methanol?
3. what if i touch methanol?
4. what if i breath it in whilst installing or topping up the tank?

regards
shams

EVILLUSION 05-04-2011 09:32 AM

Re: methanol handling and care. reply needed
 
excuse the long post but:

Quote:

METHANOL (COOGEE CHEMICALS)
Ingredient Conc. CAS No.
METHANOL 100% 67-56-1
CLASSIFIED AS HAZARDOUS ACCORDING TO NOHSC CRITERIA
Shipping METHANOL
Synonyms METHYL ALCOHOL.
Appearance CLEAR COLOURLESS LIQUID
Odour ALCOHOLIC ODOUR
Use(s) SOLVENT, LABORATORY APPLICATIONS, CHEMICAL REAGENT, DENATURE ETHANOL.
Supplier COOGEE CHEMICALS PTY LTD Ph: (08) 9439 8205
Stock No. , .
Poison Sched 6 Hazchem 2WE UN No. 1230 D.G Class 3
Pkg Group II EPG 3A3 Sub/Tert Risk 6.1
HEALTH HAZARDS
Health Hazard
Summary
Toxic. Use safe work practices to avoid eye or skin contact and vapour inhalation. Methanol primarily affects the
central nervous system, with symptoms of headache, nausea, vomiting and dizziness. Damage to the optic
nerves may occur with chronic or high level exposure, causing visual problems and blindness. Experimental
teratogen.
Eye Irritant. Exposure may result in lacrimation, irritation, pain, redness, conjunctivitis and possible corneal burns with
prolonged contact.
Inhalation Irritant - narcotic. Over exposure may result in mucous membrane irritation of the nose & throat, nausea and
headache. Chronic exposure/high vapour levels may cause dizziness, drowsiness, weakness, fatigue, breathing
difficulties and unconsciousness.
Skin Irritant - toxic. Prolonged contact may result in drying and defatting of the skin, rash and dermatitis. Toxic effects
may result from skin absorption.
Ingestion Toxic. Ingestion may result in nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, dizziness and drowsiness. Large
doses; acidosis, visual effects, optic nerve damage, circulatory and respiratory collapse, coma and death.
PRECAUTIONS
Flammability Highly flammable. Vapours may form explosive mixtures with air. May evolve toxic gases (carbon oxides,
hydrocarbons) when heated to decomposition.
Reactivity Incompatible with oxidising agents (eg. hypochlorites, peroxides), acids (eg. sulfuric acid), strong alkalis (eg.
hydroxides), heat and ignition sources.
Ventilation Do not inhale vapours. Use in well ventilated areas. In poorly ventilated areas, mechanical explosion proof
extraction ventilation is recommended.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
PPE Wear splash-proof goggles, coveralls and butyl or nitrile gloves. Where an inhalation risk exists, wear a Type A
(Organic vapour) Respirator. If spraying, wear a Type A-Class P1 (Organic vapour and Particulate) Respirator
full info here: http://www.rcfuelsupplies.com.au/ind...iewDoc&docId=7

shams1924 05-06-2011 04:59 PM

Re: methanol handling and care. reply needed
 
thanks for that
i hope plp follow these precautions


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.