waterinjection.info

waterinjection.info (http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum2/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Your one-stop search for water/methanol injected cars (http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum2/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Mini R56 2009 Factory JCW HFS-3 Install (Cooper s owners too) (http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum2/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2002)

shams1924 13-06-2011 08:18 PM

Mini R56 2009 Factory JCW HFS-3 Install (Cooper s owners too)

Hi everyone, just wanted to share my install and experiences with everyone especially the mini specific community, at the request of richard L.

First of all, just wanted to give a big shout out and a BIG thank you to two people.
first being roger(czar) for his immense knowlegde and experince and sharing that with me. and his advice to me to buy this hfs-3 system for the mini r56 turbo. your help and directions have been invaluable to say the least :)

and of course and big thank you to richard(aquamist)
for his help with the installation when i got stuck. and the passion and dedication you have for your job i surely unrivalled. whilst i found out that the wiring diagram was incorrect for the map sensor on the r56, i told richard and he told me to check this and that whilst casually playing the old quitar at 9pm! and waiting for me to come back with my findings. GREAT!
guys! ask whilst hes around. you wont find many like him.

ok. i will now share with you firstly my install. ill try give as much help and detail as possible, i didnt take a pic of every single part, but i have a decent instructions and pics. every install is different when it omes down to water/meth. as each requirment is tailored for the induvidual and he must addapt the install the way he wants to. there is no one correct way.

as of writing this. the system is 95% installed with basic setup/testing purging done. no road testing as of yet because the hfs ecu has been sent to richard for a mapping cycle best suited for my car. so when thats back in a few days.. road testing galore!!! cant wait!!!! :D
install.....

shams1924 13-06-2011 08:23 PM

install

3 Attachment(s)
CLICK PICS TO ENLARGE

Attachment 113
take out the battery and surround shround(tricky)

Attachment 114
i installed the pump underneath the car chassis.
reasons. 1. hidden away.
2.the pump should be on a lower level than the tank.
3. there is alot of unsed space next to the back box. also ive got a m7 diffuser which covers in completely. you will still need to water proof it.
4.it sits directly under the tank. easy access for wiring and plumbing.
5. the plumbing to the front of the car is simplified because of the direction it is facing

Attachment 115
you should wrap all wiring that is loose or in bundles like so. but dont start wrapping first without planning ahead of where the wiring goes first and the approximate lenghts you need. check and double check first.

shams1924 13-06-2011 09:01 PM

Re: Mini R56 2009 Factory JCW HFS-3 Install (Cooper s owners too)

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 116
UNDO THE CARPET TRIM IN THE BOOT. hard and real fiddly. you can see a small self tapping screw from the pump sticking through. only a tiny bit. but dont worry. in that area. there is a polysyrene foam under the carpet. so no harm done whatsover

Attachment 117
then drill a hole in the corner. so your wiring and pipe will come through. adjusted to the location of the pump.

Attachment 118
get a rubber gommet and insert it. ahhh blood.

Attachment 119
make a hole in the gommet for the plumbing. i cut the plug wire in half. so i didnt have to make a big hole. i then attached the plug wire back up with some quick release connectors, so i can disconnect anytime in future.

Attachment 120
pump with plumbing into car

shams1924 13-06-2011 09:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 121
now sort the main bunch of wiring from the pump to the engine. wrap em up

Attachment 122
install like so. ground to chassis. cable tie. ready for wrapping later

Attachment 123
this is the direction they need to go. past the suspension and above the sub frame. there is a gap on the side. make sure you ie them with a clip to the chassis along the way.

Attachment 124
from under the car. look. along the petrol tank.

Attachment 125
then over around the tank towards the middle of the car. and finally running parralel with the fuel lines

shams1924 13-06-2011 09:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 126
wrapped and tied down nicely to the chassis with clips along the route

Attachment 127
then up into the engine bay. with a slighlty different route to the fuel lines. cable tie them to the lines. head towards the engine ecu and battery area. tucking nicely behind everyhing as you go along

Attachment 128
pump and wires being water proofed

Attachment 129
FAV assembly. it is a dry cool location. easy. put to small self tapping screws into the firewall and they stick like glue.

Attachment 130
wired up

shams1924 13-06-2011 09:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 131
a longer shot

Attachment 132
now read wiring diagram.
connect map sensor to pin 40 wire not 31 as on instructions. me and richard verified this.

Attachment 133
the mini ecu wiring opened.

Attachment 134
i tapped into them like so. with these plugs

Attachment 135
almost done. highlighted are each connection point

shams1924 13-06-2011 09:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 136
take of the fuse box. screws highlighted. its for bringing the wiring up and around it

Attachment 137
make hole for the wire plugs. near the battery firewall.

Attachment 138
like so

Attachment 139
route of the wire into car

Attachment 140
into the car

shams1924 13-06-2011 09:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 144
now you need to locate your jet on the intercooler piping. with reasearch and speaking to richard and roger. location 3 is the best. just after the intercooler at the bottom of the piping. you want the mist to cool and mix with the air as it hits the air sensor. the engine will read it and give more timing and power. great misconception is that you need to fool the ecu. not so. you want to give the ecu a reading that it likes. so it will adjust for you. specially the mini r56.

Attachment 141
we want to take off the long rigid pipe.
now you need to undo these bolts highlighted. and the headlamp. and the bonnet catch.

Attachment 142

Attachment 143

Attachment 145
1/8 npt hole and seal with loctite 243. it is suitable for this nylon type plastic after speaking to a loctite technical department.
test the hole in a different plastic before attempting htis. you have only one chance.

shams1924 13-06-2011 09:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 146

Attachment 147
location of the jet

Attachment 148
routed where the red line is. behind the piping

Attachment 149
routed where the red line is. behind the piping. arrow pointing to the piping.

Attachment 150
update*** pic of the diffuser. the pump is located above and behind it

hope that helps anyone out there.

Richard L 13-06-2011 09:29 PM

Very nice! Just one question, are you going to water proofing the pump? As is the pump is not going to live through a wet/rainy week.

I could be mistaken, is the pump inside the car?