View Single Post
Old 07-07-2004, 04:34 AM

Default Re: checking the details

[quote="hotrod"]Sounds like you've already eliminated the possibility that you have a plugged spray nozzle, or something similar.

Yup I checked that and it seemed fine. I tried moving the water jet further away from the throttlebody and it didn't help so I moved it back because some on the list said the closer to the throttlebody the better det prevention and further back the better intercooling effect.
________________________________________ _____________

Do you have a means to log the car and determine where in the rpm range, and at what boost level, the car is seeing the detonation?

I can run the car in 4rth gear and floor it and because of the load it doesn't det. It's only in 2nd and 3rd ,stabbing the throttle. I feel it's happening in ther lower rpm range . If I baby the throttle It won't happen.

________________________________________ ______________

You might try lowering the turn on point a bit, if the spray is starting just a bit late for current conditions that would be one possibility.

I have it turn on now at around 7 to 8 psi boost. How low do some of you guys activate the WI?

Have you tried changing the water methanol mix, more water, or more alcohol to see if that makes a difference, you might try bumping your methanol to 70% and see how that works.

I tried pure water with no effect and up to 50/50% methanol with no difference, but if I turn the WI off the computer will show some knock retard no matter how I baby the throttle to get up to high boost. I was also told no more than 50% meth with the Aquamist pump.
________________________________________ ____

I don't recall off hand what your car configuration is, so a little more info on the engine, and setup would maybe ring a bell with someone.

I own a turbocharged ,interccoled, fuel injected Dodge OMNI made by Carrol Shelby in his plant in Whittier CA in 1986. One of 500 made. It is a 4 cylinder 8 valve engine[135 c, A slant 4 if you will as it's the last engine designed by the engineer that made the slant 6.
________________________________________ ______

Have you noticed any changes in engine temperature since the gasket replacement, -- could the engine be running hotter ?? ie thermostat, radiator fans not running etc. etc.

The head gasket failure was minor as the temps were wadering slightly more than usual but never hot. These engines are known for gasket problems anyway. So I fixed it and it's back to normal, very cool and doesn't wander at all. But there was no difference in the knock threshold.
Thanks so much Larry for your reply

Sato