View Single Post
Old 26-05-2016, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Flow vs Pressure

If you just want to get the methanol to burn in the cylinder as a fuel, the spray quality (small droplet size and narrow distribution) is not as important as if you like to preferentially cool the air. For water this is even more important as its evaporation speed is so low.
For methanol as a fuel and power as the main objective with emissions lower on the list, you get away with a crude spray. Most of the fuel, being petrol or methanol or ethanol evaporates hitting the hot valves and combustion chamber walls.

Hydraulic nozzles produce finer mist at higher pressures. This is where the need for high pressures come from. Making fine mist of water or water / meth mix.
Air assitted nozzles work with much lower fluid pressures, but for very high flow rates, need high air pressures.

Fuel injectors have overcome this droplet size to a degree by adding holes to the injectors with some having as much as 12 holes, e.g. The Denso injectors for the 2003-2009 Toyota Prius. For this car this was done to achieve a very fast fuel evaporation and homogenous distribution lowering emissions. Lean pockets increase Nox emissions, rich pockets CO and HC.

so yes, for pure methanol or mixes high in methanol content, you get away with bigger droplets. This is why I proposed a methanol or ethanol compatible secondary fuel injector system. But unfortunatly your ECU does not support it.

the LED is crude, but all I need. Closed loop fueling, a very fast knock controller and pressure based fail safety take care of the rest. If it fails, I get misfires and knock. Nothing brakes. I have tried it when the race pump dropped in flow and for a strange reason the priming pump controller was also not activated anymore by the pressure switch of the race pump.
fitting a membrane pump solved this. I have a spare on in the shelf shall I got problems again.

This is new pump I got on eBay, except it says 1.1 Mpa on the label instead of 1 Mpa as on the picture.
I cut the barbs off and cut 1/8" threats into the plastic to fit pushy on connectors.

Last edited by rotrex; 26-05-2016 at 11:04 PM.