View Single Post
Old 20-08-2004, 09:46 PM

Adrian, thanks fo the post. I have been looking for a source for methanol lately, but the only hit was Sherwin-Williams who wants $23/gal. for it, so I passed. I thought I'd mix methanol and water (50:50) to the WSW reservoir (WI mix) on the advise of another respondent. What's the cost on a 5 gal. can of toluene? I suppose it isn't really that important in the interest of research.

I think you may have hit on something with the concept of a mapping error. Today I was getting very poor boost (~9 psi) with no indication of detonation, usually manifested as a peak and quick back-off of boost. This is the usual syndrome when the ambient temps and engine are hot. But occasionally the boost will go to 12 or 13, back off slightly to around 11, then move up slowly as RPM's increase. But on one occasion to day I hit 15 psi and it quickly backed off to 9-10 and didn't exceed that level the rest of the drive. I feel that something in the mapping is reading the heat from some source and tells the wastegate, "Don't boost beyond 10 psi, period!"

Keep in mind that I get excellent boost when the car is not heated up fully, like just as the thermostat opens. If I could locate the sensor that is doing this dirty work perhaps I could figure out a way to alter its feedback.

That said, I think you have a good plan and I'll try to implement it. Stay tuned.