View Single Post
Old 23-11-2003, 11:35 PM

With the installation of the filter above the water level, the connections a the filter provide a very good place for air to be drawn in. when the pump is trying to pull in water it can pull in air at the inline filter clam. If you were have the tank taped near the bottom of the tank and the filter placed so that water level was always above the filter the change of drawing air is far less. I have been involed in hundreds of installations, most over the phone but I have learnd from every one elses mistakes and my own.
The other problem that comes up is the shap of the tank compared to how the car is used. Some use very nice tanks but have too large of bottom surface. When cornering, braking or acclerating hard the pickup comes uncovered and the system gets and air bubble. This is not too harmful on a 1s type system as it will purge it self very well but it is a 2c, 2d or 2s type system the pump gets an air bubble traped in the pump. The system has to be blead to get the bubble out.
A tank that is vertical in nature works the best. If you consider cornering forces and braking forces of 1g and over you can see how a tank pickup can be uncovered. If you have a large bottomed tank a small tank mounted lower as a reserve for high g conditions can be useful.