View Single Post
Old 28-10-2004, 09:44 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

An example of Bert Waite using pre-compressor water injection to increase the power of his turbines engine.

He has also added this on his email to me:

I finished the Turbine project that I was working on. We went from 1,400 HP to 1,800 HP with the water injection system. The addition of the water to the saturation point not only increased the turbine compressor efficiency, but allowed us to add additional fuel due to temperature management. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

He has been using water injection for many years and here are a few of his past and present projects:

In the Lotus application, I injected water before the turbo and after the intercooler. Injecting before the turbo or any supercharger/compressor , increases the efficiency of the compressor by increasing the density of the air. This one one of the main advantages in the turbine application.

I am working on a new project now that I am back on my feet. It is a boat like the turbine project. It is powered by two 6.6 liter small block Chevy engines with Whipple super chargers. It is intercooled and running about 1 bar of boost. The engines make 850 HP on a mix of 100 LL av gas and 110 octane racing fuel. The boat is a 8.5 meter cat and should run about 241 km/hr.
I would like to run the boat on straight 100 octane av gas with the addition of a water injection system. According to my calculations, each engine would need between 300 ml and 500 ml of water per minute or a total of up to 1,000 ml. Does that sound correct to you? At that rate, I am considering using the Shurflo 8030-813-239 pump which is capable of 9.5 bars at 3.3 l/m.