View Single Post
Old 01-11-2004, 09:29 AM

Default Good so far

So far, the stock fuel system is fat dumb and happy with the E-85. No changes and no problems, except some minor nuscience CELs. With the stock system it would take up to about 33% alcohol with no problems. At that concentration it would push the fuel trims to max rich to compensate for the leaning effect of the ethanol. That triggered a "too lean" CEL. After upgrading to an over size injector it will accept 100% E-85 (ie 85% ethanol) without get the "too Lean" cel, but the evaporative emissions system throws a CEL due to the higher vapor pressure of the fuel I believe. It thinks the gas cap is loose, but the car runs great. The only down side is I have to drive 20 miles each way to fuel up, so I bring 2 five gallon gas cans with me and fill them too.

They will eventually add new fuel outlets in my area, I know they are actively negotiating for them with independent fuel outlets (not owned by large petroleum companies). It just takes time for the infrastructure to be built.

Its sort of a "which came first the chicken or the egg" problem. They won't build the fuel outlets until they know there is a good market, and there won't be a good market until fools like me go out of their way to buy the stuff from the stations where it is available.

The good news is the American fuel ethanol producers have had a string of all time record sales over the last few months and there are quite a number of fuel ethanol plants planned for construction in the near term.

The Congress recently passed and President Bush, just signed new legislation that will encourage more investment in E-85 infrastructure.

Larry