View Single Post
Old 03-11-2004, 02:47 AM

hello all I'd like to add my input questions to the discussion.

I run a circuit racing mitsubishi lancer evolution here in Jamaica. The car is pretty much a dedicated race car. The engine is fully built (rods, pistons, headwork, bigger valves, stainless steel exhaust manifold, hybrid Garrett turbo etc, etc etc. This engine has dynoed at 420whp/330 ftlb tq at 1.5 Bar. I've tried experimenting with water injection and water spray and logged via the Haltech datalogger the following results:

with 2 aquamist .8 jets; one spraying at about 3" downstream of the intercooler, and the other about 3" ahead of the throttle plate, and another two .8mm jets spraying the intercooler core; the intake temperature fell by about 45deg F. From 140F to 95F. These temps were measured by a sensor on the intake manifold. The ambient air was about 85F and there was a smallish fan blowing on the I/C. With this combination the power fell to 395 whp. There were however no adjustments made to the timing or fuelling. There was a slight bog at high rpm when the water was injected ( I think I may have sprayed too muc water).

I tried spraying on the I/C alone and noted no appreciable temperature drop.

At the race track, with much more available airfolw on the I/C the water spray alone was tried and the follwing results noted:
After about 10 minutes of continuos high boost operation, the intake temperature stabilized at about 155F (90F ambient) Without the I/C spray the temperature would normally be about 170F. I think the water spray helps with the I/C heat soak for prolonged operation, but can't act quickly enough for a 10 second dyno pull.