View Single Post
Old 07-11-2004, 09:33 PM

Default WI on a diesel

You can probably get some additional good feed back in the diesel forum as well as on this thread.

Just need some back ground info. I'm not familiar with the acronym CAC I assume your refering to an after cooler ?

Most of the conventional wisdom is that injecting between the turbo and the intercooler/after cooler is less effective than injecting after the last stage of intercooling/after cooling.

Are you using a pure water injection or a mixture of water and alcohol?

Water and methanol mixtures are supposed to produce some very impressive performance gains and lower EGT's. The bad news is the bump in power is addictive and too much methanol can push the engine to the point of blowing head gaskets due to high cylinder pressures, but the increase in torque is supposed to be very impressive.

The pre-turbo injection is most useful when your maxing out the airflow capacity of the turbo compressor at high rpm.

Right now my system is set up as pre-turbo only, and triggered with a pressure switch, but I plan on changing over to a system that is a bit more complex.

I'm going to add an rpm switch in line with the pressure switch so the pre-compressor injection only comes on after the engine gets to about 70% of max rpm. My experience recently also leads me to consider adding a temp sensor in the intake tract so that once the intake air temp drops below about 70 deg F. the pre-compressor injection is completely disabled.

Larry