View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 09:30 AM

Quote:
firmly believe that water injection should only be activated when the combustion temperature becomes destructive. Injecting water when your engine is running at an acceptable combustion temperature (refected by the egt ), will loose power and slow down spooling time for sure..
Johns post indicate that humidity reduces an engines power. Fair enough. However we don't just inject water to lower EGT or combustion temps, I thought we injected water on turbo cars to lower charge temps as well.

If your able to lower the charge temps with water injection, doesn't that increase the density of the charge and therefore power? I guess you have to limit water injection to the points when you need to cool the charge and/or lower combustion temperatures?

So if humidity decreases power but WI increases air charge density i guess it would also be beneficial to find the crossover point when one dominates the other. Assuming that boost pressure has a relationship with charge temperature, I guess this means not setting the pressure switch which activates boost at too low a value?

I guess this also implies that an intercooler cooling a charge vs water injection would be more effective (assuming the same drop in temps) because the intercooler does not increase humidity?