View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 11:10 AM

Okay, so that might still work then. What about my post above. The consensus previously seemed to be that this was only really beneficial for a compressor that was being maxed out and was unable to flow any more air. What about the situation I described where the restriction is the size of the exhaust housing. Will making the air denser allow me to push more through a smaller aperture. In theory it seems logical that it would but I'm wondering if the end result will be as effective as on a compressor that is reaching the end of it's efficiency threshold.

The thing is that whilst I understand that one of the main reasons that this works on smaller compressors is because they start to generate so much heat when they move out of their efficiency island, it also seems highly likely that where the exhaust housing is 'too' small, similar problems of heat and friction are going to occur where the big turbo is forcing more air into the housing that can pass the restriction. I'm sure that cooling the charge air and making it denser would have an affect here, I'm just not sure how much.

If anyone can spread some info here I'd be very grateful. I'm intending to use a Holset turbo on my application because of the turbo's durability and it's reputation for spooling quickly. The main criticism that is levelled against the turbo with the smaller exhaust housing however is that it loses between 50-100hp of it's full potential at the upper rpm range as a trade off for the very fast spool up of such a large turbo.

The possibilty of having a 65 lb/min turbo reaching 22 psi by 3500 rpms or sooner and making 600 hp is pretty exciting.