View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sprtcpedrvr
Personally I don't like the use of manual boost controllers mainly due to the "wastegate creep". A manual controller will not allow the turbo to achieve your set boost level. An electronic one such as the one I listed above will help in the area you're requesting and eliminates "creep". It also has a feature to help with the operations of your WI. I hope this helps with your quest.
Why would a MBC contribute more to wastegate creep than an electronic one.
If you have a ball/spring MBC it just opens at a set boost level at which point the wastegate is opened and hot gasses are diverted.

Creep happens when the wastegate cannot bypass enough exhaust gas to keep the boost under control. It can happen if the wastegate is too smal. I don't see how an EBC would differ from a MBC in this aspect.

And EBC might be better at controlling boost spikes because it can gradually decrease boost when the set level is about to be reached whereas an MBC is an on/off switch.

BTW, don't confuse a manual boost controller with a bleed valve. Maybe a bleed valve could cause creep. A bleed leaks pressure into the atmosphere. It might be possible that the wastgate never opens far enough. A boostcontroller is an on/off switch. Full pressure to the wastegate causing it to open conpletely, or no pressure.

But than again, I'm rather new to turbo-cars. But this is the way I understood it.

Janis