View Single Post
Old 30-05-2016, 11:47 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: HFS-6 fail safe question Subaru WRX/Sti/FXT etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Scream View Post
Ok, Richard, you need to do whatever you can to keep Mr. Jeff Howerton happy. This guy is a true asset to your enterprise sir. For him to give me a call back on a Friday night at the beginning of a holiday weekend speaks volumes to his customer service skills. I will be a customer for life when you have guys like Jeff on your team sir.

Anyway, the correct answer to this problem is the following:

White wire to ground.
Black wire (N/O) to B135 Pin B27

B135 Pin B27 (2006 Subaru WRX) is the ONLY ORANGE wire on that connector. It is the pin on the ECU that gets grounded when you connect the green test mode connectors under the dash to flash a new map or reset the ECU.

The beauty of using that circuit as a fail safe trigger input is that it does multiple things to protect the engine in the event of a malfunction.

(1) It drops boost to wastegate pressure only.
(2) It triggers a CEL
(3) It drops timing to (IAM=.5) which basically cuts timing across the board to 1/2 of the values in the timing table(s).

For me, this is the best possible way to set up a system for total engine protection. As I sated earlier, when something goes wrong, I want to STOP everything, diagnose the problem and solve it BEFORE getting back to full power, boost and timing.

When I had this system set up in my 2006 WRX with a complete STi swap, I was making 425 AWHP and the system worked FLAWLESSLY.

Thanks.
Jeff is the only dealer who offer true technical support, I value this very much. Thanks for highlighting this on your post.

Start again:

DR= DR0
White wire to test mode
Black wire to ground

or

DR = DRO
Black wire to test mode
White wire to ground

The HFS6 does not have an orange wire.