View Single Post
Old 22-11-2004, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Pre Turbo Injection - How Much and When to Inject

I knew this was going to be controversial :lol:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelf
In my opinion, using a twin jet setup with the smallest jets possible and triggered at 4 psi gave the best results. I want to see 0 psi results.
I don't know how you reached this conclusion.
I'll try to explain, i said

What im looking for (a combination of things)

Consistantly low turbo exit temps

Comparisons between no WI, 0.4 @ 13 psi and 0.4 and 0.5 @ 4 psi.

I think the 0.4 and 0.5 jets @ 4 psi does just that when compared to no water injection and the single 0.4 jet @ 13 psi.

High IC efficiency Maybe i should have said highest efficiency possible from lower turbo exit temps.

The 0.4 and 0.5 jets @ 4 psi generally showed the lowest IC exit temp (to be expected), while the 0.4 @ 13 psi faired worse than no WI.

Lower than ambient throttle temps in the summer, but not less than (??) for the winter ((??) not sure what the lowest temp should be yet).

Quote:
The ideal intake temp at the throttle is around 40C mate, certainly no less than 30C

Granted, on this comparison both the 0.4 @ 13 psi and 0.4 and 0.5 @ 4 psi had similar results on occasions, but the 0.4 @ 13 psi showed temps going much lower, dipping as low as - 7 C. No WI wins this time, but the 0.4 @ 13 psi faired the worst.

Maximum effect from the east amount of water injected.

The 0.4 and 0.5 @ 4 psi does use more water than the 0.4 @ 13 psi, but in my opinion gives the best result when all things are considered. Expescially if your considering removing the IC all together.

Quote:
In any case, intake temps are not the whole story, especially if they max at 30C without WI
To me it looks like your engine setup at these ambient temps needs no W.I. for lowering intake temps.
I agree on this point, but im trying to set up before i get boost remapped. If i have WI set up, the RR operator may push the boost envolope a bit further.

Quote:
It could be a different story if power is measured with different jets, while you run higher boost pressures. That would mainly reflect the advantages of in-cylinder cooling, which I'd think would be far more important than chargecooling in the winter.
I agree and will do so once boost has been remapped.

Quote:
Very interesting post, by the way.
Thanks, its good to have someone to debate with