View Single Post
Old 25-06-2004, 04:23 AM

Default Super coolers

The DEI system makes me nervous for a couple of reasons. I called the company to get clarification (they claim a percentage cooling in their ads)
It wasn't clear if that was absolute temp or normal thermometer temperature, so I called for clarification. I was not impressed with the person I talked to. It would be better if they claimed a delta T of x deg F from ambient.

The second issue that came to mind is the potential of ice shedding off the cryobulb in humid conditions. That could pose problems with a combined WI system, depending on where the bulb was located. I'd hate to have a big chunk of ice come off and block the throttle plate open.

The N-tercooler system could potentially ice as well but it would be more likely in my mind to simply choke the system down as it strangled the intercooler. That would be a much safer failure mode for iceing when talking about brutally powerful cars.

The N-tercoolers definitely work, several folks have documented power increases from about 15 - 40 hp. My guess is it would be better if they claimed a percentage of normal hp increase. Obviously cooling the intake charge on a 600 hp engine will do more than on a 150 hp engine.

The down side of the N-tercooler system as I see it are:

Its very wasteful of Nitrous, and only CO2 makes much financial sense.

They can cause problems when used on cars that have limited head room on the fuel system as they push the fuel system into static flow if it is already working at high duty cycles. This form of lean out has been documented with engine logs.

On Dynos, they can cause tuning problems. On the CO2 systems if the air circulation and intake system work to pull CO2 into the air filter, they can cause significant power drop. If the same situation occurs with Nitrous the system can go dangerously lean on a chassis dyno.

I do like the concept of the N-tercooler, but think it needs to be re-engineered, and that is one of the ideas I'm looking at on my hybrid system. I have the CO2 bottle and am working on a new approach to how the intercooler is chilled. I have a design in mind, but am not at a point where I am ready to discuss the details of it. I hope to have a working prototype here in a couple months if not sooner.

They are also over priced in my view, as a simple aluminum tube loop with 30 odd holes in it and a solenoid plus tank is not worth nearly $600 in my view.

Larry