View Single Post
Old 27-06-2004, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Some observations on compound systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod
Pure water injection -- Has some charge cooling effect and modifies the effective octane of the fuel air charge. In large quantities it needs leaner mixtures and more ignition advance to produce max power. It has no significant effect on the effective fuel air mixture (ie does not increase or decrease available fuel oxygen ratio). It is less effective when air charge is cold and at high relative humidities. Can freeze out of the air charge if intake temps go too low, liberating significant latent heat of evaporation and solidification back to the mixture, in effect fighting other super cooling systems as temps go significantly below both the dew point of the mixture and the freezing point of water. There is potential for ice build up due to super cooled water dropplets freezing on contact with surfaces at very low temps.
I'm sorry but I don't understand the part where you can have ice build up in the combustion chamber!! if you can explain this to me that would be nice! since it's hard to believe that near an explosion you can find temps that are that low they can turn the water to ice!!

I too have a question, can their be a point where cooling would make loose power instead of making some??

I got some ideas in progress that would enable me to obtain almost ideal temps for few applications.

what I have in mind is :
-fuel cooling, can bring it to a temp that would be benefical, if that exist?!
-water/air intercooler, the cooling liquid would be able to go very low, but is their a point where I can loose power from too low intake temps?
-water/methanol injection, here also I would have the possibility of bringing the temp pretty low, can their be a point where it won't be benefic?
-propane injection, well I can't really low those temp!!

my goals are HIGH rpm on a 4 cyl built for it, 10:1 CR, and as much power I can squeeze in it, since this would be a multi-stage performance car (eg stage 1 for street uses, with rpm limitation, no injection, low boost,... up to stage 4 which will make huge power for drag racing).

so anyone have an idea if this would be overkilled cooling system for the big power stage??