View Single Post
Old 19-08-2004, 09:19 AM

Default Re: spray point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod
...By injecting water/alcohol ahead of the compressor two things happen. You cool the inlet air substantially
If you mean that the ambient temp air flow is affected, I wouldn't expect that to be much. Say ambient is 20C, how much lower can it get by injecting mist of water that's 30C+ (the bottle is in the engine bay!). I suspect that after the pump the water is even warmer.
Quote:
this in effect moves your true operating point to the left on the compressor map. (in most cases for max performance this is a good thing, although on some turbocharger conditions it can cause compressor surge.)
I would have thought that this 'efficiency gain' is the effect of water droplets inside the compressor blades, as they try to squeeze the air.
Am I right?
Quote:
.You also change the pressure temperature profile inside the compressor wheel itself. You probably actually change the shape of the compressor map.
This one actually
Quote:
... it can achieve more mass flow at that pressure ratio. The cooling should also modify the speed of sound in the gas and the mach number of the compressor blade tips should also change.
fascinating :!: ...

John

www.max-boost.co.uk