View Single Post
Old 23-06-2004, 12:59 AM

Default choices

Your right on the state of CO2, Nitrous, and Propane, they are predominately a liquid in the tank, under pressure. In a propane tank like Nitrous, you want to draw the propane from the liquid mass at the bottom of the tank and allow it to flash to vapor at the injection point. It will stay liquid as long as it is pressurized to a pressure above the vapor pressure of the gas at the current temperature.

For a simple example look at water it can be super heated to well over its normal boiling point and remain a liquid if held at pressure ( ie your cooling system). It will not start to boil and flash to steam until the pressure drops below a critical pressure.

In the case of a cryogenic gas/liquid it will flash to vapor at the solenoid valve or in the case of a Nitrous injection system at the restriction provided by the flow control orfice in the injector. That is the point where pressure finally drops below the critical pressure for transition from a liquid to a gas. There will also be a small amount of boiling in the tank as the flow begins to maintain tank pressure for the current tank contents temperature.

I look at the problem from a point of cost effectiveness, reliability, and ease of refill. From that point of view I consider the water injection system the primary system and the others as the adjunct systems.

I consider the water injection as a given and the choice of time place and application of other means to augment it the unknown to be determined.

Larry