View Single Post
Old 13-09-2004, 08:00 PM

I would not worry about the intercooler becoming a heater just yet. Prove it's heating and then worry about it.

2-3% of air mass injection pre-turbo is just an educated guess. I read some turbine engine papers that indicated 2% was best and hotrod figured he was injecting 2.7%. Turbine engines are not the best model for our little turbos, much higher compression, much larger surface area. I'd love more input on what percentage to inject and droplet size if anyone has these data. Maybe Richard knows some mavericks.

2-3% is alot to inject. Generally WI injection is expressed as percentage of fuel injection 2.5% of air mass would correspond to 25% at 10:1 AFR, or 33% at an AFR of 12.5:1. That is a lot of water to move through the turbo, more than my pump and reservoir can flow.

I will start with something more modest. I have two 0.5 mm jets at the throttle body, shunting to a third 0.5, 0.4, or 0.3 mm will give me a range of about 125 cc/min, 90 cc/min, and 60 cc/min, respectively. At its highest, that corresponds to about 0.5% water:air mass with 1% water:air mass left over for injection at the throttle body. So, I would be injecting only about 20% of the amount that hotrod injects.

That may be too little, but I'm not sure anyone knows. I can monitor pressure and temperature post-turbo and see if temp continues to drop and pressure increase with added water.

Commentary on this set up is most welcome.